PDA

View Full Version : Derealization!

Jason 12235
20-07-04, 00:51
I used to get rather bad panic attacks sometimes 4-5 times a day, I worked hard and found how to stop them,and the panic attacks subsided, but im left almost a year later with a continuing, very intense derealization. Im asking for tips on how i can get this annoyance to stop.

stimpy
20-07-04, 23:12
I hate that whole de-personalization / de-realization thing.

I find mine is dreadful when near or attempting to cross roads.

I was told to ground myself.
Touch something solid, such as a wall or the floor.
To walk heavily, almost stamping your feet.
I found this worked quite well for me.

good luck

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Caz Fab Pants
20-07-04, 23:12
Can you explain what you mean by derealisation? I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean. Give an example and I might be able to help.

Cheers
Caroline
x

stimpy
20-07-04, 23:43
De-realization / De-personalization is one of the most difficult things to explain how it feels.

Everyone feels different.

I feel very unreal.
For Example,
if I was to walk in front of a car, it wouldn't hit me it would pass right through me.

Or it feels like I am watching myself in the 3rd person, in a kind of out of body experience type thing.

Some people feel spaced out, others feel floating and off colour.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Jason 12235
21-07-04, 02:03
De-reailztion for me is that nothing looks real. its amost like the walls are paper thin and the world around me doesnt even really exist. thats knda the best way i can describe it.
thank you for the advice an keep more coming

Jason

kate
21-07-04, 07:44
When I had my first PA 20 odd years ago, I was left with the unreal, not really there feelings.

These were what panicked me the most.

Over the last few years I also have continual derealization and, I think until my anxiety levels lower, then the feelings will not diminish.

Kate x

Meg
21-07-04, 15:36
Jason,

I think it's Kroko who is very experienced with this. You might want to email him directly as he hasn't posted very recently.

Try www.dreamchild.net.

I had it for about a month solid and then intermittantly with each panic attack but as I recovered it went - thankfully.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

Jules31
21-07-04, 18:00
Jason

I had it lots when I first started with panic attacks and like Meg it hung around for what seemed like forever. However, eventually I managed to not be scared of it any more and I found that each time I got it, it went more quickly. So hang in there.

In fact I remember one very odd occasion where it was only in the left side of my body. It was like half of my head was stuffed with cotton wool.

The more you can learn to live with it and ignore it the quicker it goes. I still get it now but not as severly most of the time

Jules

nomorepanic
21-07-04, 21:41
Jason

I had it for years on end. I used to describe it as "looking down on myself and not really living as a real person". I used to say to my partner - "I just don't feel like I am me".

Very scary feeling and mine just went with time - there was no magic cure atall I am afraid, just another symptom.

I hope yours goes soon too.

Nicola

malc38
22-07-04, 11:59
Jason,
I know what you mean, i still suffer from it at the moment although i cant decide at times if its just my sinus playing up which has a similar feeling. I just try and put the feelings out of my mind and concentrate on something else which isnt allways that easy i know.

take care
malc

Jason 12235
27-07-04, 06:10
Thank you guys for all the help. the derealization has bein strong at some times an subtle on other times, i will check that website meg, thankyou

Jason

Lilith
29-07-04, 22:51
I have the same problem, even though I haven't had a bad panic attack in months. It sort of feels like I'm looking out at the world from inside a fish tank. I'm hoping it will go away eventually.