PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal? Strange even for me

willous1
23-01-14, 08:02
Hi,

Had a lovely afternoon with my children yesterday, and a nice evening. Had a headache all night so a bit anxious as never get them but can anyone relate to the following.
I have a new weird obsession. I keep thinking I'm forgetting time. For example this morning I woke up and checked the time as 6.30 then went in the front room and rested on sofa as boys came into bed. I had my eyes closed and was just thinking. One of my boys came in and asked for time and it was 7.12 and that's when I panicked. I was thinking it would be about 10 to. And I'm having these obsessions a lot now. I try not to check the time so I don't panic. Does anyone else think, where did the time go? Ect hope this makes sense. Somehow I put it to dementia as keep thinking what if I just forgot some of that time. 29 years old I should not be thinking this

Phuzella
23-01-14, 08:46
Everyone thinks where does the time go, you're over thinking. :)

willous1
23-01-14, 08:50
I hope so, It's like I want to find something isn't it. But honestly it did not feel like 45 minutes. Why does something happen first thing in the morning.

Elen
23-01-14, 08:59
Sean you are over-thinking hun.

It happens to us all, just accept that it has happened and laugh it off.

willous1
23-01-14, 10:06
Thanks, so it is just normal you think? Never read anything to say that it's to do with dementia but my brains horrible. I'm going to keep looking at my CBT paperwork today and keep trying. Going to a hotel for my wife's birthday tommorow and want to get through it for her

---------- Post added at 10:06 ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 ----------

Now I've just misplaced my phone and forgot where I put it. Why do these things happen?

Elen
23-01-14, 10:10
Sean STOP IT

{ut a brake on this destructive cycle of thoughts.

Read your CBT and forget about this obsession, try distracting yourself.

willous1
23-01-14, 10:24
Your right, I don't want to go back. I should see that more anxious I am more things that happen.

---------- Post added at 10:24 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

Does anyone else do things like that though? I can't remember getting my phone and it worries me.

Elen
23-01-14, 10:28
Sean STOP overthinking
and STOP asking for re-assurance, these are the symptoms you need to conquer

willous1
23-01-14, 11:07
I know I need to. Why am I struggling so much at the moment. I can't even go out. When I'm like this it's impossible to read anything logically.

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 ----------

Just went into self destruct and sent question on yahoo answers, one of the answers has scared me. I haven't googled in ages. Why do I do this.

Libra
23-01-14, 11:17
In the morning anxiety can seem worse because your blood sugar is lower not having eaten all night. I was told that by GP. That's why breakfast is important to get things going.
What you describe about time slipping by is quite common with anxiety.:)

willous1
23-01-14, 15:43
Thanks Libra, I just need to get this out of my head.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

It's strange, I keep obsessing about this now. I just looked at the time as have been in all day and couldn't believe it was 3.30. I am now trying to trace the last couple of hours by texts etc. can someone tell me I'm just being stupid ha

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

I just wish my wife could talk to me and tell me this is stupid. I am going to wake up tommorow and try to get back on track. Not going to ruin her birthday night out as well.

I'm sure I always think oh where's time gone or times going slow etc but I'm just obsessing over it

Brunette
23-01-14, 15:50
Sean STOP overthinking
and STOP asking for re-assurance, these are the symptoms you need to conquer

^ This.

The things you think are problems are normal. It's your response to them - your obsessing - that is not normal.

If you carry on like this you will end up in the bad place you were before and you don't want that.

willous1
23-01-14, 16:03
Your right I'm logging off for a bit thanks

cut_out_stars
23-01-14, 17:47
You're fine and this is totally normal :) If anything at all was causing this, it would be anxiety, because I get exactly the same thing.

Shivmarie
23-01-14, 19:19
Your really working yourself up.
I look at my phone and the time, two minutes later I forget it and have to look again.

willous1
24-01-14, 10:12
This happened again this morning, I had a bad nights sleep so at 8.20 went to have sleep. I swear I didn't sleep and was just thinking for a bit but then looked at time and it was 9.20. Am I being really stupid. Have I just got something I'm my head that's stuck with me. It's my wife's birthday thing tonight and I'm being so sick I can't go and I'm ruining things for her again. Whys this happening?? I didn't want to ask for reassurance today but if I can feel better and get out i know it will help. I just need to know this is nothing to do with Denton and it's so normal

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

I am not googling and I know I'm using this site as what my therapist calls a safetynet but I promise it does help. I have days at a time of not asking things but this is a setback and helps more than anyone could know

i love tea
24-01-14, 10:25
"but I promise it does help. I have days at a time of not asking things but this is a setback and helps more than anyone could know"

But it doesn't help - because after all the reassurance people gave you yesterday you are still asking.

I wish you well but really don't think any more reassurance will do you any good whatsoever.

There is still time to get off here, pick yourself up again and get ready for your wife's birthday thing this evening. You can do it!

willous1
24-01-14, 10:28
I know but I'm panicking so much

i love tea
24-01-14, 10:31
What CBT techniques have you learnt that you could practice this morning? Now is the time to use them, not when you're feeling better.

You've done it before & you can get yourself out of this panic again - you don't need reassurance, you've got the willpower inside, you just need to find it.

Take care x

willous1
24-01-14, 10:42
I have tried confronting how I'm feeling and also looking from another perspective. My main hope I think is distraction. I know my brain at the moment is going to latch onto something and I find comfort on knowing that all the other worries about dementia have gone. It's so stupid not being Able to look rationally but I am looking forward to my third CBT meeting on Tuesday as first two were more an introduction and her getting to know me.

i love tea
24-01-14, 10:50
Have you got your wife a card or a present yet? Could you distract yourself with that? If you've got them already, why not go out and get her some flowers or something? Make a card? Write a poem? (Sorry if that sounds crazy, I'm quite a creative person, so that sounds normal to me!) Any sorts of positive distraction you can find :)

willous1
24-01-14, 10:54
Sounds good, I've just had a bath and going to take her to work as she's going in for two hours. Then keep myself distracted. Just want a logical part in my brain

fedup36
24-01-14, 11:09
Hi -just wanted to let you know of some things that happened to me over the past few weeks to hopefully put your mind at rest!

This morning I did the zip up on one of my boots, got to the office and realised and I forgot to do the zip up on the other! Now I think what an idiot.. I don't panic as its just being normal!!

The other day a route I take about once a week for some reason I took the M42 the wrong direction and took me a good 20mins to realise!

These things happen :)

willous1
24-01-14, 11:46
Ha, thanks. It does help. My brain is my own worst enemy. Before I took my wife to school I started thinking about getting lost even though I know exactly where it is. It's intrusive thoughts. On way back I kept looking at everything to make sure I knew where I was even though I know ha. My brain is playing tricks with me. It's only because it's on my mind that I'm thinking it but it's starting to have an affect one going out. Off to Portsmouth soon and need to make it a good weekend.

---------- Post added at 11:46 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Now I've just called a spa place and it just kept ringing. When I tried 3 minutes later someone answered within seconds. My brain keep saying what if I spoke to him the first time but my brain didn't realise. What the hell is going on. I'm trying my CBT techniques but this site really is my safetynet

i love tea
24-01-14, 12:15
This is my last reply. Please get off here and do something - anything - else.

This is doing you no good at all - absolutely none. What are you doing for your wife today? Try to focus on her rather than yourself today. Just this one day.

*Fallen Angel*
24-01-14, 13:15
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you do have something affecting your brain and that is anxiety. The human brain is amazing but it has its limits and coping with the physical and emotional effects that anxiety places on it means it won't do other things as well.

I suffer anxiety dreadfully at times and it's exhausting, as you must know. I never know what day or date it is and often have to ask my 8 year old. I quite often say something to her and she'll say 'mum, you've already said that'. My mind, as I'm sure yours is, is full of other thoughts therefore it cannot give full focus to everything you expect it to.

You really need to try putting the CBT in place when you are feeling like this. You are a young man and should be enjoying life.

TooMuchToLiveFor
29-01-14, 19:58
Hey Willous!
How did your wife's birthday weekend go? Was thinking about you, and hoping your absence here was a good sign!