PDA

View Full Version : skype interview tomorrow

RVP
23-01-14, 18:18
I have an interview tomorrow which is on skype! and the person who emailed me never asked whether I have a mic or a webcam.
I do have a mic, but I don't have a webcam...
Are they just assuming I will have a webcam? It's not going to be a great first impression and a little awkward if the other person is on video and I'm not.
I'm not sure what to do??!

Fishmanpa
23-01-14, 18:22
I have an interview tomorrow which is on skype! and the person who emailed me never asked whether I have a mic or a webcam.
I do have a mic, but I don't have a webcam...
Are they just assuming I will have a webcam? It's not going to be a great first impression and a little awkward if the other person is on video and I'm not.
I'm not sure what to do??!

Time to run out and get a cam! Skype is all about seeing the other person ;)

Positive thoughts

AnxietySufferer
23-01-14, 18:33
I agree! Webcams are pretty cheap nowadays.. Or ask to borrow a friends laptop or somthing!!

cattia
23-01-14, 19:10
If you have a smart phone with a half decent camera you can use that for Skype.

Althea
23-01-14, 19:23
If you can't do the video, you need to let them know--that's not something to spring on them as a surprise.

But I'd go with borrowing a webcam--Skyping on a phone can be really awkward for an interview. I'm assuming that you have a Skype account--if not, you'll need to get one (only takes a moment).

Here's a good list of tips for Skype interviewing:
http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2012/08/29/10-tips-to-avoid-bombing-your-skype-interview

RVP
23-01-14, 19:36
Okay I think I have everything sorted...I'll borrow my sister laptop which has a webcam!
In terms of dress-wear, I don't need to wear a shirt do I? perhaps just a formal looking sweater?

Fishmanpa
23-01-14, 19:48
Okay I think I have everything sorted...I'll borrow my sister laptop which has a webcam!
In terms of dress-wear, I don't need to wear a shirt do I? perhaps just a formal looking sweater?

Depends on the job ~lol~ I would dress no differently than you would at a face to face.

Positive thoughts and good luck!

RVP
23-01-14, 19:51
It's a junior project manager role for an intern placement.

AnxietySufferer
24-01-14, 18:22
I would go with a shirt, maybe a jumper on top of you want it too look more casual