PDA

View Full Version : GAD & Benzodiazapines: Opinions Please

Flat Stanley
24-01-14, 13:21
Hi All,

After several episodes of what I believed (at that time) to be stress induced anxiety (treated for a short while with Clobazam (Urbanol)) I was diagnosed in 2006 with GAD and put on 10mg daily of the SSRI drug Escitalopram. Despite several ups and downs since then (including several episodes of severe depression) I believed that I was coping reasonably well. I am, in general, nearly always able to keep moving forward. That was until August 2013 when I relapsed. Not having had an attack of anxiety for so long (at least one that included physical symptoms) I was convinced that I was physically ill. At one point I took myself to hospital convinced that I was having a heart attack. Many blood tests, several X-rays and one angiogram later I was discharged and told there was nothing wrong with me.

Cut a long story short, my GP (having now thoroughly ruled out conventional ailments) added to my 10mg Escitalopram a 0.5mg daily dose of the benzodiazapine Alprazolam (Xanax). This initially worked wonders and had me back on the straight and narrow in no time at all. Unfortunately, what I did not know at that time is that benzodiazapines are not recommended for the long term treatment of GAD due to the two issues of tolerance and dependence. I thus relapsed once again in December and am still struggling in January. I am convinced that I am now tolerant to the 0.5mg Xanax and, with no beneficial effects to speak of, have progressively been weening myself off it.

For the first time ever I have also consulted a psychologist in an effort to work through certain issues in my life (rather than relying on magic bullets) and I have an appointment to see a psychiatrist in an effort to sort out my medication, if required, shortly.

In the mean time, however, I would be interested to hear your opinions on benzodiazapines and their effects on you if you have taken them. I am convinced that my GP was wrong to prescribe Xanax to me as if it were a chronic medication to be taken daily along with my Escitalopram, when it seems to me that it is best used to treat specific attacks of anxiety. It occurs to me that I should have tapered off the Xanax once the attack was over, rather than taking it as a daily medication.

Your comments would be appreciated.

FS

jackie13
25-01-14, 11:43
Hi hun

Sorry to hear that you are suffering at the moment, however great news that you have had long periods anxiety free:)

I presume Xanax is like Valium, diazepam? In the UK the Docs regulate how much diazepam they issue due to the dependency factor. I think it should only be used in cases of extreme anxiety and panic.

I was given 14 tablets 2 years ago and still have 8 left, they helped when I needed them.

Good news on you seeking other help, maybe you should speak to your GP about help weaning off them?

Jackie x

jonny
26-01-14, 14:07
My doctor gives me around 30 Diazepam every year and i take them when i feel the need.
Normally this is when i travel, i probably take 10 in a year.

These drugs are brilliant but you have to remember that they only work for a short while and once you have developed a tolerance they are no longer that magic bullet.
I can manage most stressful situations nowadays but its really nice to have them in my arsenal when required.

Flat Stanley
26-01-14, 21:14
Many thanks Jackie13 and Johnny for your respective replies.

In addition I have read through other threads on this forum in which benzodiazapines are discussed and in almost all cases it seems that they are prescribed in small doses in an effort to deal with specific attacks, much as you have both described, and never as a chronic medication. I blame myself for trusting my GP blindly and not having researched benzo's more thoroughly when I was first prescribed Xanax last October.

I should add that I was prompted to start this thread after I saw my GP again last Monday and identified to her that my anxiety had returned. Her immediate response was to increase my dosage of Xanax. When I declined, stating that I had concerns with regards to the use of benzodiazapines, I was handed a prescription for Diazapam instead! While I do not doubt the efficacy of benzo's I am loath to simply pile one pill up on top of another. I am convinced that my current problem is due to the fact that I am now tolerant to Xanax, having been on it daily since last October. My GP seems to be doing a very good job of turning me into an addict :mad:

In response I have chosen rather to up my dosage of Escitalopram (Cipralex) to 15mg daily and I will progressively reduce my intake of Xanax in an effort to reduce withdrawal symptoms. I hope to be off the Xanax in at least 3 weeks if possible.

TooMuchToLiveFor
27-01-14, 00:21
Hi, Flat Stanley,

Last November I went from fully functioning, happy, and healthy to full blown panic disorder with agoraphobia. I started Sertraline at 50mg for two weeks, 75 for a week, and then on to 100. Have been at 100 since. At the same time my doctor prescribed me Xanax at .5, 4xs a day. I was SOOO worried about dependence,...not abuse on my part, ...but actual dependence. She assured me over and over this would not happen. I stayed at that high dose (at least high to me) for a full month or more- sometimes even needing an extra .25. I then realized I didn't need my last dose of the day (right before bed) in order to sleep, so I cut it out. Over the next month I got to where I only needed two .5 doses- one at silly 'o clock when I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep from the panic symptoms starting, and one in the early afternoon. From there I took a .5 in the morning and broke my pill in half to have a .25 in the afternoon. Now I am down to HALF of a .25 in the early, early morning, and sometimes another half of a .25 in the afternoons. That is a teeny, tiny dose...., but I do still seem to notice it helping when I take it. I am seeing my doc on Thursday and will see if she is still okay with me continuing with the little doses as needed. I also want to see if we are still continuing at 100mg of Sert or going up, as I am about 85% "recovered", but there is still room to go.

I know that this doesn't necessarily help you with your situation, but I did want to share my Xanax experience. Since the U.K. doesn't prescribe Xanax very often it is hard to get very much feedback about that particular benzo here.

Best wishes!

Flat Stanley
27-01-14, 16:54
Hi TooMuchToLiveFor

Many thanks for your reply and thanks for sharing your Xanax experience. I wasn't aware that it's not commonly prescribed in the UK.

All the best to you as you work towards recovery. I trust that all will go well for you on Thursday.

FS