PDA

View Full Version : Scared i have neck cancer!! HELP

Tamz27
24-01-14, 13:28
Hi,

I have just signed up to NMP and am hoping to hear from other people in the same boat as me. I have been suffering from HA since my early teens and it is plagued me ever since- I have just turned 32 so more than half of my life dealing with HA. The Illnesses that have I seriously thought I had include ALS, MS, Bone Cancer, Lung Cancer, Brain Cancer.

Right now, I am going through another HA phase as I had an dull gnawing ache in my right shoulder which started my most recent HA as I started thinking it could be bone or lung cancer cancer. While going through this, i started to notice what seems to be an obstruction at the base of the left side of my throat that I have had for over a week- it is mildly painful when I swallow so I am convinced it is a swollen lymph node caused by throat cancer or lymphoma. When I press at the base of my neck on the spot where it is painful when I swallow, it sometimes feels tender to touch. I have been to see my GP about this and he felt around my neck region and could not find anything i.e. a swollen lymph gland so he does not seem to be concerned. I don't have any other symptoms apart from very mild night sweats on my chest area. I just cant shake the feeling that this is something serious!!

Please help!!!!

LE
24-01-14, 13:35
I could have written this myself!

I am having similar issue with right side of my neck. It just feels so sore. When I feel around I feel what I think are lymph nodes.

I've been checked several times and keep being told no swollen glands and it's tension. I have been to my gp today (fishmanpa i know if you read this you will be exasperated worh me) to physically point out what I can feel and she says she thinks it's muscle/tendons.

I also had the feeling something was stuck in my throat for months. I saw an ENT in dec who did a scope as said all normal. The feeling went awy a few weeks later!!

Now ita just the sore neck.

I also have night sweats on cheats and under my hair.

HoneyLove
24-01-14, 14:05
Hi Tamz, you'll find lots of people here with cancer worries, as well as worries about all kinds of things.

You've been checked out by your GP though, and it sounds like you've nothing to worry about.

You've been dealing with HA for a very long time, have you ever gotten any help with it? Have you tried CBT?

Tamz27
24-01-14, 15:47
Hi HoneyLove,

Yes, I have been for CBT but I only had 4-5 sessions - I think I need a lot more than that. I am also taking Citalopram.

What gets to me is the fact that I can feel the slight pain at the left part of my throat/just above the base of my neck when I swallow - it keeps reminding me that it is not going away so that always makes me think either throat cancer or lymphoma. I am trying to rationalise things i.e. no obvious swollen lymph node so it cant be lymphoma but then that little HA voice inside my head convinces me that it still could cancer and so the vicious cycle continues!!

Fishmanpa
24-01-14, 16:00
Hi Tamz,

It's Head and Neck cancer that actually brought me to this sight. I'm a survivor. I saw many people with fears like you see here on the cancer forums I frequented and became interested in HA and anxiety in general. I came here to learn as well as help.

I can pretty much say with assurance you don't have cancer. I haven't seen one instance in the months I've been here where someone's worst fear became reality concerning this. Also, what you describe doesn't present as H&N cancer. Add to that doctors who feel there's nothing sinister and where does that leave you? ;) You're here on an anxiety forum right? Nuff said.

As with everyone, CBT, one on one therapy, drugs, or a combination thereof are the best solutions to taming the Dragon.

Positive thoughts

Tamz27
24-01-14, 16:30
Thanks Fishmanpa - your very wise words certainly have helped me and made me feel a lot less anxious!! HA is such an awful thing!!