View Full Version : Sleep

teej
24-01-14, 14:11
I've been taking an SSRI since November (first citalopram, then sertraline). The sertraline has worked wonders for my anxiety, but I can't remember the last time I had a full night's sleep! I always end up waking early - ranging from 2am to 4am and then sleeping fitfully until the morning.

I'm seeing the doctor soon, and was wondering if there's anything anyone else has taken alongside an SSRI to improve their sleep and if they've had any side effects...

I know people talk about zinc supplements too but no idea on how much to take or why I'd have a deficiency.

I'm not expecting medical advice here - just other people's experiences.

Thanks

T

LunaLiuna
24-01-14, 14:40
You could ask for Melatonin, it's natural and already in all of us, but becomes unbalanced when our minds are working over time :)

I use the Melatonin with Sertraline as well.

MrAndy
24-01-14, 15:37
magnesium

teej
24-01-14, 18:19
You could ask for Melatonin, it's natural and already in all of us, but becomes unbalanced when our minds are working over time :)

I use the Melatonin with Sertraline as well.

Interesting - I looked on the NHS website and it's only given to the over 55s... I'm 25 years away from that. Worth a mention to the doc though!

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

magnesium

How much? Is it likely to have a deficiency? What would cause that?

LunaLiuna
24-01-14, 18:22
Really? I'm a LOT younger than that! hahahaha.

teej
25-01-14, 16:20
I've got to do something! Everyone keeps saying how tired I look and I feel tired. :weep:

Think I might order some melatonin and give it a try. How much do you take LunaLiuna?

LunaLiuna
25-01-14, 16:29
I take the 2mg prolonged release ones.

I'd ask to be prescribed them rather than ordering them :)

MrAndy
25-01-14, 17:13
Interesting - I looked on the NHS website and it's only given to the over 55s... I'm 25 years away from that. Worth a mention to the doc though!

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

How much? Is it likely to have a deficiency? What would cause that?magnesium taken at night is a natural relaxant and helps sleep,you don't have to deficient in it

TRISTAN
25-01-14, 17:27
Same here teej I use to take zopiclone but is only used to send you off to sleep not keep you asleep ,

Emphyrio
26-01-14, 04:05
Chamomile tea, valerian tea, or valerian capsules can help. Though don't expect it to knock you out in the same way as a prescription sleep med does.

teej
27-01-14, 14:02
Thanks for all your input. I'm a big fan of valerian based products. Maybe if I try them with a magnesium supplement too I'll find some help.

I'll pop down the health shop tonight. :yesyes:

LunaLiuna
27-01-14, 14:21
Thanks for all your input. I'm a big fan of valerian based products. Maybe if I try them with a magnesium supplement too I'll find some help.

I'll pop down the health shop tonight. :yesyes:

Hello teej, I would check with your GP about using Valerian whilst on Sertraline. I know i bought Valerian capsules and have been advised not to take them from other people, although I haven't checked yet with my doctor, apparently they don't mix well, but I don't know.

Emphyrio
27-01-14, 14:40
There is some conflicting views around the use of valerian and SSRIs. I think though that the majority of opinions state that the use of the two is ok, providing you aren't taking mega-amounts of valerian. I've heard that SSRIs can potentiate the sedative effect of the valerian, which may or may not be beneficial. Some other people believe that valerian could affect one of the enzymes used to process sertraline - though this should not pose a real issue if you're only taking a small amount of valerian.

https://www.healthtap.com/topics/valerian-root-and-zoloft

teej
28-01-14, 09:03
Wow - that's interesting reading about the valerian. I've used it on and off for years - mostly varying brands of "stress relief" or "sleep aid" which have valerian, hops and passion flower in them. I do seem to get positive effects from using it - especially the sedation and better sleep.

I assumed the interaction with SSRIs was depression related due to the sedation effects - I had no idea there was a pharmacological interaction.

Incidentally I took 6mg of diazepam Saturday night (I had an epically rotten traumatic day - it was diazepam or vodka I figured the diazepam was the lesser of two evils) and I've had three nights of absolutely blissful sleep. So whether or not the citalopram has finally left my system (7.3 days for 90% elimination I worked out) or I'm still having good vibes from diazepam's long last active metabolites I don't know....:huh: I'm good with 6mg of diazepam once a month or so if I get to catch up on some Zzzzs. I'm still going to give the magnesium a go though.