PDA

View Full Version : Bumped my head - scared of an internal bleeding

mandy00
24-01-14, 16:17
I was putting away some things in my basement and when I was going back upstairs, I accidentally raised my head a bit too early and hit a small part on the side of my head on the edge of the wall above me. It hurt for a few seconds, but than it stopped, I have no headaches, so far, zero dizziness, I can't even feel a proper bump on the place where my head hit, but I've read a lot of articles about people dying from small head bumps with hard objects, because if you hit your head on one side, it may supposedly cause the brain to shake which can eventually cause an internal bleeding even if the skull isn't fractured.

I'm literally shaking right now with how scared I am that I might die, I'm at my parents' house for the weekend and I don't have my own car here if I should want to drive to the E.R., and when I told them about this and about my fears, they laughed, saying that a small hit like that can't harm me, and that something like this isn't worth traveling to a hospital because people bump their heads all the time and that this is the reason why doctors probably won't take me seriously either. But half of the internet claims differently, people talking about their father hitting head on the pavement and dying a few days later, about that actress who fell on a skiing accident, one woman claiming she lost her mother even six months after she hit her head on the edge of a bathtub, I don't know what to believe and I don't know what to do, I'm feeling physically fine right now but I'm scared out of my mind, can this really kill me eventually?

bigh123
24-01-14, 19:35
try not to worry , ive taken some pretty bi g bumps to my head over the past couple of years , i even had a scan for one of them and i was fine!

Fishmanpa
24-01-14, 19:38
I accidentally hit a small part on the side of my head...It hurt for a few seconds, but than it stopped, I have no headaches... zero dizziness, I can't even feel a proper bump on the place where my head hit...
I'm feeling physically fine right now but I'm scared out of my mind, can this really kill me eventually?

Nope

Positive thoughts

saab
24-01-14, 20:53
The chances of you having serious injury of any kind must 1 in a million. It does happen but is incredibly rare and I daresay the people it happened to hit their heads a lot harder than you did.

barrym
24-01-14, 20:53
Mandy,

I work in the building trade (electrician), work in attics a lot and have lost count how many times I have hit my head on wooden joists, some have been seriously sore whacks, not to mention getting nails in head from the slates on the roof!! Try not to worry, the head is made of some seriously strong stuff, thank god in my case lol

BarryM

mandy00
26-01-14, 13:05
Thank you everyone for your support but I'm still a bit scared... what worries me most is the fact that I raised my head in a tilted position, meaning, I hit the side of my head, where the temple bone is and where the skull is not only the weakest, but also because of that entire thing that I read about hitting one side of the head and your brain shaking so severely from the impact that it slams on the other side and causes a capillary vein on the other side to potentially burst.

I try to tell myself that the impact wasn't strong enough to cause such a thing, I wasn't even walking and then standing up in full force when my head met the edge of the door, but it did hurt for a moment and my head did feel slightly weird and shaken up for a second or two, so I'm still scared that that might have caused some small internal bleeding... yet again, going to e.r. isn't an option right now, and I'm still not feeling any other bad symptoms. but from what I've read, the moment brain located internal bleeding does end up giving you symptoms, it's already too late...

I haven't had anxiety this bad in months...

Fishmanpa
26-01-14, 15:06
Mandy,

Think about it. This happened two days ago. If indeed something happened, don't you think you would know by now? ;)

Positive thoughts