PDA

View Full Version : Prozac 4th time for 3 year .Please help me with your experience

linda84
25-01-14, 18:14
I am 30 years old
From 2011 I suffered from anxiety and deprresioni
For the first time I started to use prozac in August 2011. After 2 months taking Prozac I've been more than better I used another month taking tham and I stopped. Exactly the same symptoms returned after 3 months deppresion and anxiety.
In February 2012, I immediately started to take 20mg daily pills and in the end of March I've been very well I also used pills 2 months more and stoped in july taking them 20mg every second day. In October same symptoms returned back with extremely deppresion and anxiety and I started to to take prozac again for one year until October 2013 and stoped them gradually.
2013 for me has been a wonderful year with full of activities and without any problem. I was 100% as before. Now in 20 Jannuary 2014 the same condition returned immediately. Before 10 day was everything ok I was going to Gym, every day i was outside and now i am in this f.. bad!!!!!!!!!!!

Emphyrio
26-01-14, 04:02
Sorry to hear about your experiences. Prozac unfortunately has a habit of bringing on rebound anxiety/depression. I've been on fluoxetine in the past and within 3 months of taking my last dose I have been hit with a deep depression and anxiety - which was worse than when I wasn't on meds to begin with.

Do you feel like your anxiety/depression now is the same as it was before you started prozac?

linda84
26-01-14, 08:35
Hi Emphyrio
Yes i think same simptomes. I just started again 4 days before with 20mg daily but i think every day until this meds will work i will live dark days. How long did you take it and how did you stop it can you explain me please ?

Tessar
26-01-14, 08:59
For me, fluoxetine has been my saviour. I suffer with winter depression, seemingly every year. I 've been on and off the meds for a long time now but I don't see any returning depression as being down to the meds. It's just the way life seems to go for me. Along topside taking meds in winter time I try to make sure I get out for walks and see as much daylight as possible. I see the meds as helping me through. Usually I come off them around march/April time although this yer just gone, I was too low to do that. For me a benefit if being on fluoxetine is that it helps with my pmt. since this contributes to my issues, it has been of real benefit to have these symptoms lessened as well. I have pondered the benefits (or not) of being on the meds but really when I am at my worst I wouldn't want to be without them. Surely it's no different to a person that takes medication for ongoing issues due to ailments they have?

linda84
26-01-14, 09:05
And how are you now Tessar?

Tessar
26-01-14, 09:36
Well, physically I am good I'd say I stay pretty much fit & well most if the time. Sometimes I do get very tired but that is usually emotional tiredness. I am in the midst if dealing with hurt and pain from my past (with the help of my counsellor) and if I weren't taking Prozac I would be finding everything much harder. It does help me. I get more energy and I am more level headed shall we say. I still get emotional but think to myself how much worse I'd be without the meds :-)

linda84
26-01-14, 09:59
Did you had anxiety?. Now i lose appetite i eat 1 time daily, i cannot sleep well have bad dreams, i dont want to meet with people. Other question is how time take to you to work proazac?

Tessar
26-01-14, 10:11
I tend only to get anxious when I am doing something I find difficult..... For me it is more about losing motivation so I feel like it is too much effort to do things (whether that is things I enjoy for fun or going to work).
I am the opposite to you with appetite because if I am depressed I overeat.
I do find going out & meting friends is harder when I am depressed.
The Prozac on average takes about 2-3 weeks to begin working for me which is when I find I have more energy.
In the weeks after that I begin to feel less emotional. At the same time I do not get quite as excited about good things but I am more even in my general mental well being.
Also,,, it is necessary to stay in the meds for around 6 months minimum to really feel the benefits.

MrsCav
26-01-14, 13:20
I've been on fluoxetine/Prozac for nearly 8 weeks now. The first couple of weeks where ok, I didn't feel I had to many side effects. But when week 5 hit, I hit a real low, very depressed (I suffer with severe anxiety, not depression). I was shaking, so I was prescribed propranolol to help with the amount of adrenalin I was making. I lost my appetite, even putting a toothbrush in my mouth would make me gag. I spent 2 horrible weeks feeling so bad, but I knew it was just side effects and a positive sign that the Prozac was getting into my system. Then I hit week 7 and it was like someone flicked a switch in my brain. Everything just came good. I felt good, I was happy again. My appetite came back over a few days. I can honestly say I have never felt so good. But this time 2 weeks ago I was climbing the walls with anxiety. But this past week has been amazing. I've started going out with friends again, doing things with the kids .... the way I am feeling now, I don't think I ever want to come off Prozac. Stick with the meds, all the side effects you are going through, yes they are horrible but believe me they will go and you will feel better.

linda84
26-01-14, 16:53
Hi MrsCav i am very happy with you. My mistake is that i am leaving pills without consulting with my GP and every time that i have stoped exatly after 3 months same symptomes are back. Now i hope the prozac will work again same as 3 times befores these 3 years and i will take them longer. The bad thing is that i will live dark 2 months now.

BissaF
26-01-14, 17:25
Hi Linda, I know exactly what you're going through at the moment as I have also been on and off Prozac more times in the last 8 years than I care to remember! I suffer with anxiety and obsessional thinking. Sometimes it might take me 10 days to start feeling better, sometimes 3 weeks, so do hang in there. I do know that every time I have started up on them again I have felt back to normal. I am currently experiencing a blip which feels pretty dreadful, but luckily I have a supportive family and friends.
Hugs to you:hugs:

linda84
27-01-14, 11:10
Hi BissaF,

Thank you for your replay.
How long did you take prozac ?
and how long should taking prozac to come 100% different person with 0% anxiety and with positive thoughts.

BissaF
27-01-14, 12:45
Hi Linda, well it can be very variable, the time it takes for you to have much more positive thoughts. Personally I find it can take between 10 days to 3 weeks, but I think often it will take people much longer than that, from what I've read on this website. So it's definitely worth persevering long-term.
I also find at the moment that evenings are better, and mornings are worst, which seems quite common. Don't know why that is though -I'm sure there's a logical explanation!
Take care xx

linda84
27-01-14, 13:58
Thank you BissaF
How are you now from 0/10?

BissaF
27-01-14, 14:08
Well it's hard to say, but it's not 10! Probably about a 5 at the moment. How about you? I find I am always checking how I'm feeling which probably doesn't help - it's focusing on it too much.

linda84
27-01-14, 15:52
Every time when i am on Prozac after 3 month most of the time i am 10/10 the only problem to me is when i want to take off prozac same problems are comjng exactly after 3 months and boooom from 10 to 0

BissaF
27-01-14, 16:26
I can sympathise with that Linda. I too also get to 10 out of 10, and then something will trigger off the anxiety and I can go right down to zero. A lot of people, ie healthcare people, suggest being on it for much longer than 3 months. Have you spoken to your doctor about it?

MrsCav
27-01-14, 16:29
My GP says a minimum of six months. But I've said that I would like to stay on it longer, I figure the anxiety has taken years and years to build up, so it could take a bit longer than 6 months to go away... if that makes sense.

BissaF
27-01-14, 16:45
Yes Mrs Cav, I have to agree with you about the length of time to be on it. My anxieties have been with me in one form or another for about 20 years (about half my life!) so for me I should probably take it continuously. I have tried CBT.
But Linda I think it all depends on your own circumstances - the antidepressants are there to help you through the tough times and to put you back to your normal state. It's at that point that you can address what is causing your depression or anxiety, I believe. X

linda84
06-02-14, 11:50
Day 16 with 20mg and i think i am returning to reality. I am fighting with myself i am going out for walking with my boyfriend, going to shoping etc. I see that every day it is going easier.

linda84
19-03-14, 14:34
Day 56 still have down and up days. GP prescribed me 1.5 mg Bromazepam twice in day. But didn't start yet with Bromazepam. I am still only on prozac 20mg daily. Last week was OK. But this week i am again down. Does anybody had same symptomes?

BusuB
19-03-14, 18:58
Yes Linda, I know what you're going through as we're going through it together. Read my thread and keep in touch :)

linda84
01-04-14, 10:29
Week 10 and prozac started to make its own magic work. I had 10 bad weeks with up and down days but since 5-6 days i am totally different and 100% like before. Ohh my god i can not belive how happy i am. Good luck to everyone.

TweetyBird2
03-04-14, 23:06
Thank you for posting this update Linda84! It's encouraging! (I'm on week 5).

linda84
20-04-14, 19:41
Hi my friends,
Sorry for my late updates.
I dont have been in forum for 3 weeks becouse i forget that i had problems with deppresion and anxiety. :)
Today is 3 month for me taking 20mg and from April i think i have made big steps. I think now i am 95% like before but i was in deep dark for two month.
Please dont stop taking your pills and dont loose your hope becouse you will have 1 ore 2 terrible months from your life but Prozac will start to work and you will forget one day that you had problems.
Thanks everybody for your support.