PDA

View Full Version : Am I developing OCD tendencies?

JasonX
26-01-14, 00:47
So, I've been experiencing an astronomical rise of anxiety in regards to my health in recent weeks. I've been struggling with a medical condition over the last 3 years that no doctor can seem to diagnose and it's having a massive effect on my life, causing much stress and heavy depression.

We've also recently had a very old stray cat reside in our utility room for a while until she unfortunately died last week.

Since she's been around, I've been feeling the need to constantly wash my hands every chance I get and I'm having multiple showers/baths a day in order to keep as clean as possible. I've also spent a decent amount of money on anti-bacterial hand wash and use it frequently.

Though I have heard the hand washes can cause other problems later in life, I still feel the need to use it. It's a catch 22. I'm scared... terrified of the potential problems these hand washes supposedly cause but I HAVE to keep my hands as clean as possible when running water isn't immediately available.

I'm terrified of getting worms or a disease of some kind from the cat.

We've also got two pet dogs in the house who may have received something from the cat after they escaped the room they were kept in and ate the cats food.

Am I experiencing O.C.D symptoms or is this a side effect of my complex anxiety issues?

Are they even two separate things?

I don't know anymore.

Thank you in advance to those of you who comment. I feel like I'll be here more often in the coming weeks. I've been a member here for a while but I've never really utilised it. So, hello again :)

clarisse
26-01-14, 01:42
Id say you do have the symptoms of OCD Jason. Its treatable and the quicker you talk to your Dr about this the better.
CBT and maybe a few sessions of counselling will help you nip this in the bud. The cats death was sad and very unfortunate,but if where it died, and the bowls it used were washed and disinfected thoroughly.You wont catch anything I assure you.
What symptoms are you worried bout health wise ? as this all seems to stem from you thinking you have something sinister.
Often being anxious to this extent induces symptoms that mimic other things. Whilst all along its just anxiety.It can be a vicious circle.