PDA

View Full Version : Applying for ESA

Emphyrio
26-01-14, 05:07
Hello,

Over the last couple of years I've struggled fairly badly with mental health difficulties and a range of physical symptoms that may or may not be related (a feeling of extreme restlessness, poor concentration, fatigue, visual disturbances). I was doing a postgraduate degree which I struggled on with despite my issues. I took an additional year to complete it but last month I managed to finally submit something.

However, I have to make a decision now. I have to find money in some way to live. While ideally I would like to be get a job that I enjoy, I'm not sure that I could with my current anxiety. I've not been successful with medication recently - I'm currently trying another one but its only had a partial effect so far, and I've been hit with a lot of nasty side effects.

I was therefore seeking advice as to what I should do? Either sign on to jobseekers allowance, and hope that they can take into account my anxiety, or apply for ESA until I get my health stabilised. If I do apply for ESA, how long will it take to claim? I know there have been some horror stories about ATOS medicals, but how soon after applying would I have to attend one of these? Would the fact that I recently completed a degree count against me?

Thanks for your help :)

Tessar
26-01-14, 09:33
Hi emph, my advice would be to maybe give signing on for JSA a go. The reason I suggest this is because it would only involve your initial interview and then signing on every week (I think then depending on age or how long you have been signing-on for its every two weeks).
You will hear differing views in how easy or intrusive the process is.
Last time I was made redundant, I didn't like having to sign-on but it was necessary to get my benefits and also meant I did not have a gap in my national insurance contributions. I was quite capable of seeking work myself & had plenty of resources to draw upon but rules are rules & if I wanted the money then I needed to comply.
Because i am a worrier, fearing being told i wasnt doing enough to seek work even if i was trying ridiculously hard.... I kept stringent notes of everything I did. I was worried too that they'd make me apply for a hideous job & then stay in it. That didnt materialise & anyway for a set period I didn't have to apply for jobs at lower salary than I was on when made redundant.
I appreciate u r in a completely different scenario to mine but the principal is the same. If ultimately you want to find work then u need to be proactive in looking. Furthermore, whilst u have had a lot of issues this last few years and struggled to get your degree completed, would u not agree that when busying yourself with a task or specific project or goal in mind, you are generally more focused?
Would u also perhaps agree that having routine & structure is good in your life?
Also I suggest trying to get out there and look for work & apply for JSA because I feel if you fall back on an alternative (ESA) then you'd put yourself through all the hassle of applying for it (Medicals & goodness knows what) all to prove u r not well enough to work.... When really, you could put that uncomfortable experience into getting stuck into life...
To make a decision that you are fed up with anxiety & all it throws at you. That you'd rather kick anxiety in the face (slay the dragon) and make a go of getting yourself on the work ladder so to speak?
I'm not saying you just snap your fingers and hey presto everything is wonderful. I fully appreciate that it would be a huge task to embark upon. It would take guts & courage but you do posses those qualities along with stamina. You have proved that because despite your struggles, you completed your degree did u not? You could have just dropped it altogether but you don't stroke me as a quitter my friend.
I am thinking more along the lines of why go to the trouble of enduring the process of ESA and then at some point still having to go through the process of applying for JSA if that makes sense?
You could make this the point you decide to change your life & embark on your journey out of your dark pit? Job seeking isnt that bad believe me. I didn't like having to go to the job centre. I got nervous each time I went & I felt a bit like I was being scrutinised. but in fairness the people were kind to me. My fears were worse than the reality. And yes interviews etc are scary I got very nervous, bit alongside that I worked hard on going over & over what I'd say in interview.
You can do that. Literally stand there and practice saying out loud what u'd say in an interview. Silly tho this might sound I found it a very uplifting experience. I said those things so often I really did believe them. U can do that too.
I hope what i'm saying this doesn't sound too harsh as that is not my intention, I am thinking about your situation from a practical standpoint. Doing enough Job seeking to satisfy the job centre isn't actually that huge a task. If u r organised & keep notes then u will be fine.
I am keen for you to succeed & hope that I am able to enrage you along the way.
Your friend, Tessar x

Annie0904
26-01-14, 09:42
What Tessar said :) You wont know if you can cope with work until you try. If it doesn't work out thenat least you have tried and with have a better chance of getting ESA. My guess is that if you did apply for ESA now then you would be put in the work related group and expected to be preparing to get to work anyway.

Emphyrio
27-01-14, 15:54
Thanks for the replies family (where's Pancho-pops for her contribition?)

My goal is to get well and capable of working full-time like I did in the past - the only thing is, I know that I would find it very difficult at present. My nervous system is hypersensitive and find that even a cup of tea, or a night of poor sleep, can increase my anxiety considerably. I guess that I've only been on my new medication for 7 weeks which is generally when the side effects start to go away, which may explain some of this - but the Dr wants me to take 100mg while I'm only taking 50mg at present.

I've noticed that ESA says that it provides financial support if you are unable to work, but also states that it provides personalised help if you are able to work. I am capable of doing some kind of work, but I think I would struggle to work full time at present. And apparently to sign on Jobseekers allowance, one has to be capable of working full-time.

I know I should be pushing myself but my health is still not great - plus I have this visual problem to contend with...which can make it difficult to use a computer/read contrasty text at times.

Tessar
27-01-14, 17:09
emph; just quickly - i believe you can work for 16 hours a week without losing benefits (JSA that is).

Annie0904
27-01-14, 18:14
I was on contribution based ESA for a year. In the working group you can do 'permitted work' it has to be approved by ESA. The money I earned did not affect my ESA. I was able to do a cleaning job for a few hours a week. If you don't show that you are trying to do something they can send you to do training or work at certain places.

Emphyrio
27-01-14, 20:53
I had a part-time job whilst claiming JSA in the past - I was able to continue to sign on, but had to show that I was looking for full-time work.

The issue I have with JSA is that I don't think at present I could work full-time. I know that I haven't given it a go but I don't feel I could based on my current level of anxiety. If I had a bad night's sleep, for example, I'd still be expected to turn up at work. Now I can sleep during the day - if I don't get a good night's sleep I generally feel anxious and restless - not to mention tired. And I can't even take caffeine to wake myself up!

Any advice?

Annie0904
27-01-14, 21:13
You could try applying for ESA, I think you would be put into the work group anyway which would help to ease you gently into work. If you are going down the ESA route then you will need letters from your GP and any therapists you see to help back up your claim and you will be sent for an ATOS medical.

Tessar
27-01-14, 21:27
Sometimes, Emph, the best treatment is to try and get on with it, so to speak. I know that sounds perhaps harsh but I think what I am trying to say is that sometimes in life there is no option but to just plough on through. You can't let the anxiety drag you down to the point IT is in control. Fight back.
Really I do believe that if you were to find work of some sort and ease yourself in (part time maybe to start) then perhaps this would help you focus on things other than how you feel physically.
I mean, I never feel refreshed when I get up.... Occasionally I do but if you take this morning for instance.... I wake up... Don't want to get up .... But eventually drag myself out of bed. Then in my zombie like state (it always takes me ages to wake up) make lunch & drive to work. Add to that worries over another busy, stressful week.... My day started with some reservations alright.
But once at work I get on with stuff & I have to say my worries lessened. My days often follow this pattern but I hold with it that whether at work or at home, my better days are those I am not dwelling. Particularly those I really put myself headlong into whatever I am doing.
I recently had days where I have pondered going to work or not (usually ones where something's happened to trigger my emotions) but each time I have fought on through & survived the day despite thinking I wouldn't be able to. It wasn't easy, i won't deny that. Sometimes work isn't always what i would like to be. But then on better days i feel quite lucky to have a job that sometimes i enjoy. This is why I recommend getting stuck in there. Because it will serve as a distraction for you & help move your life forwards while taking your mind off anxiety.
It will possibly sound impossible to contemplate at the moment but I do strongly recommend finding ways of moving forwards my friend :-)

Annie0904
27-01-14, 21:42
Wise words from Tessar and it would avoid the stress of the ESA process :) I think once you got into a routine of work it might help you in your recovery.

Emphyrio
29-01-14, 15:05
Thanks - will apply for JSA then, and see how I get on. Do you think I should tell them absolutely everything about my condition and the difficulties that it causes me?

Annie0904
29-01-14, 18:12
Yes I think it is best that you let them know.

PanchoGoz
29-01-14, 19:05
Thanks for the replies family (where's Pancho-pops for her contribition?)

I'm here! But no idea how to advise you. I'm sure you'll do the right thing you are a clever man.

Emphyrio
30-01-14, 13:50
Applied for JSA today. At least that's out of the way. Still worrying about housing benefits/council tax etc though, and whether they will take my disability into account.

Annie0904
30-01-14, 17:32
I hope it all gets sorted for you soon Emph.

Tessar
30-01-14, 20:43
Well done emph, I am proud of you :-)