PDA

View Full Version : what to say to doc about my blood pressure? trust home monitor?

robin321
26-01-14, 15:14
Very brief recap:
Saw doc for checkup. Had high BP (155 over 100). Not a surprise, had this 2 yrs ago, did 24hr monitor, all was ok. I avoided taking it for 2yrs and was super nervous.

He told me to take it myself for one month. I bought a monitor. At first I would get high readings initially (160 over 100) and they would come down after a few minutes to high 130's, low 140's.

Each week the avg seemed to come down. Now I get 120's or even lower. Good right? Well I doubt my monitor because I don't even get any readings higher than 133 now. Did I just get used to it?

I took it at drug store yesterday. Was very anxious. Got 165 over 100. After a bit it came down to high 140's but not lower. When I got home, it was 133 on my machine.

What do I tell doc? I really don't want to do 24hr monitor again. My wife thinks my home machine is good (she tried it and it was ok on her) and I should trust that.

Ronno
26-01-14, 16:41
Robin I'm exactly like you, about eight years ago went to the docs with a throat infection , she took my bp it was through the roof , after a couple of week a,put on meds on them for a couple of weeks they took my bp again still through the roof , put on stronger meds felt so dizzy I felt I would pass out, bought a bp monitor ( not a cheep one ) getting low readings it was found I had white coat syndrome ! And I can't have any one in the room when taking it? Some times it takes a couple of goes before it lowers , to me like me it's the anxiety of having it done mate.

robin321
26-01-14, 17:51
Thanks! It helps to know I am not alone. Did you stay on meds?
I just don't know if I should trust the home monitor. I could buy another....

Fishmanpa
26-01-14, 18:10
Very brief recap:
Saw doc for checkup. Had high BP (155 over 100). Not a surprise, had this 2 yrs ago, did 24hr monitor, all was ok. I avoided taking it for 2yrs and was super nervous.

He told me to take it myself for one month. I bought a monitor. At first I would get high readings initially (160 over 100) and they would come down after a few minutes to high 130's, low 140's.

Each week the avg seemed to come down. Now I get 120's or even lower. Good right? Well I doubt my monitor because I don't even get any readings higher than 133 now. Did I just get used to it?

I took it at drug store yesterday. Was very anxious. Got 165 over 100. After a bit it came down to high 140's but not lower. When I got home, it was 133 on my machine.

What do I tell doc? I really don't want to do 24hr monitor again. My wife thinks my home machine is good (she tried it and it was ok on her) and I should trust that.

I don't see any reason you should not trust the readings. It's apparent that certain situations give you a raised reading (White Coat Syndrome) and as soon as you're removed from the situation you calm down. What would be a valid reason to doubt the readings? Why not trust all is Ok and move on? ;)

Positive thoughts

robin321
27-01-14, 01:00
Thanks Fishmanpa.
I will try to do that. I am not super anxious about it, I just want to make sure I get treatment if I need it, and don't get something that I don't need (or that can hurt me).