PDA

View Full Version : Really struggling with college

AnxiousPansa
26-01-14, 15:30
Hi everyone
I am really struggling with college at the moment because of the workload. I find it very hard to concentrate in lessons anyway because my mind wonders and I get anxious/intrusive thoughts and I also dont like having to be surrounded by all thses people I dont know and I get nervous of embarrassing myself or doing something because of my anxiety. Then I get home and I cant distract myself doing stuff I enjoy because I always have work to do which I dont understand because I wasnt paying attention and it literally makes me want to cry. Nothing I revise goes in because I have so many other things on my mind and I find it hard to think at the moment if that makes sense. I absolutely hate it and if I could leave and get myself sorted out and have a job that would keep me occupied and that I could get into I SO would. My parents really dont seem to understand how much I dislike and how much worse it makes me feel all my dad cares about is good grades and university. I dont know what to do?

LunaLiuna
26-01-14, 18:21
I understand how you feel, I recently had this with my psychology teacher. I thought he'd understand after I explained that I was finding it really hard to concentrate on the work but he still tries to catch me out.

To be honest, there's no point in doing something you don't want to do, As anxiety likes to constantly reminds me. If going to college is not benefiting you at all then I wouldn't do it, I know some people may disagree with this, but this is how I feel, as soon as I left school and got home tutored because of my anxiety, my life changed instantly and I now know what I want to do, and what my actual interests are. To me schools/college ect just crush every last bit on individuality out of you.

Do what you feels right, life is so much more than a piece of paper that marks you on how much you can remember :)

PunkyFish
26-01-14, 19:34
Hi everyone
I am really struggling with college at the moment because of the workload. I find it very hard to concentrate in lessons anyway because my mind wonders and I get anxious/intrusive thoughts and I also dont like having to be surrounded by all thses people I dont know and I get nervous of embarrassing myself or doing something because of my anxiety. Then I get home and I cant distract myself doing stuff I enjoy because I always have work to do which I dont understand because I wasnt paying attention and it literally makes me want to cry. Nothing I revise goes in because I have so many other things on my mind and I find it hard to think at the moment if that makes sense. I absolutely hate it and if I could leave and get myself sorted out and have a job that would keep me occupied and that I could get into I SO would. My parents really dont seem to understand how much I dislike and how much worse it makes me feel all my dad cares about is good grades and university. I dont know what to do?

Hi :)

Aww I sort of know how you feel! :hugs:I went to college and university and know how it feels. The problem I think is that you have to have your heart into college and the subjects you study or otherwise you will feel miserable. It's true that good grades can open doors but getting good experience in a job I think is more value. You can always go back to college later on in life. I think you need to have a sit down and have a heart to heart with your parents and try to tell them how you feel.

If you decide college is for you then maybe look into asking your tutors for extra help. Most tutors will sit down with you and explain things to you over and over again if needs be. Also your college should have a support service which often do include helping students who are struggling with college and can give advice about anxiety ect. College is not for everybody. Have you thought of maybe doing an apprenticeship which combines working in a job to get experience and often some form of studying (although not all the time). There are plenty of people who are successful in life without having to of had good grades.

Have you thought about getting help for your anxiety problems. Maybe a visit to your GP for some advice about treating anxiety could also help you with your nerves/anxiety.

Hope everything works out in the end for you. :D

Autumn
26-01-14, 20:00
My daughter is going through the same sort of thing. She became very stressed with all the work she had to do which affected her on many levels. She became anxious, depressed, and didn't want to go to college anymore. She is studying forensic science and is in her second and last year, so we decided the best thing to do would be to tell her tutor about her problems. It was a good move on her part because her teachers are now aware of the problem and are doing everything they can to support her. Try to let your teachers know how you feel and share your feelings with your parents. My daughter fell behind with her work but she has now caught up and the only way she could do that was by ''chipping away'' at it. Don't think about how much you need to do, just chip away at it day by day and eventually you will be on top again!

Hope you can get back on track! :hugs:

AnxiousPansa
27-01-14, 01:37
Hi everyone thank you all for your responses. I find it very hard because I feel a lot of pressure from my dad. His pressure and my wanting to do well got me great gcses 4A*s and 5As but my mental health has been the cost. I feel like whenever I start to feel hopeful my hapiness is ruined when I try to do this work I cant do and I feel so much pressure to do well again. I would love to act when im older but I know my parents would never take me seriously. My mum keeps sayin 'I think everyone feels this way' but she doesnt understand how much of a battle each day is. I find life so hard and im terrified of losing control and going mad. I feel so strange all the time and my head feels woozy and strange and I think now I must be going truly mad. I start seeing college counsellor on thursday x