PDA

View Full Version : Teeth, Anxiety & citlopram?

Kernowjo
26-01-14, 16:58
Hi Guys,

New here & nervous about making my first post:blush:

But just wanted to know if anyone experiences similar & if you know how yours maybe caused...

I was diagnosed with Anxiety & panic attacks end of November
I started 10mg citalopram and have been on it about a month and a half now,
I have certainly found it stopping my panic attacks but need to work harder on my anxiety.
I have experienced a few of the usual side affects but most seem to be subsiding now or I am just getting used to them!
One symptom I am still experiencing is a sore feeling mouth/tongue all the time and pain in my teeth different ones at different times & the feeling of my teeth being to big for my mouth(sounds stupid I know!) but nearly all day,
I have a dental phobia anyway but did manage to make to the dentist in December where I was given a root canal filling in one bad tooth, I know I have another prob tooth that will need sorting eventually but this isn't the cause of all the others,
I realise anxiety can give you a strange test in your mouth & I have read that citalopram can sometimes cause jaw/teeth pain, but just wondered if other people suffer from this and if you know what your triggers are?
-Citlopram side effect?
-Nerve pain (anxiety related)?
As far as I know I don't clench my teeth or jaw at night and don't have any signs of teeth grinding
Hope this post makes sense, I tried not to waffle on too much, but any thoughts, advice, I would really value as it is really bugging me!

Thankyou :)

trish1955
26-01-14, 21:29
Hi I suffer jaw pain I always saying I have got face ache with my anxiety any way but did want to ask his bad the side effects were wen u started the citalopram as DACs gave me sum 10mg I am so afraid to take um even though I have read good reports about it how long did the side effects last I am a long long time suffer and never would try meds but things ave got so bad this past few yrs to point I don't go out door my health anxiety through the roof sorry for waffling on just need some convincing to take the dam pills xx

Kernowjo
27-01-14, 16:06
Hi trish1955,
Thankyou for your reply, I do also get jaw/face ache but read that that is quite normal for anxiety symptoms, my teeth pain and sore tongue/mouth has been driving me mad though so was just interested to know.
I too was just the same when the doc prescribed my citalopram, I was so scared to take it for fear of me getting worse or having the scary side effects/ problems listed BUT....you need to do what I did...I was getting worse and knew that I couldn't go on like it any longer and ask your self the question ..could it get any worse?!
The side effects I suffered seem to be dry/burning skin but only on the back of my arms and legs(moisturising twice a day helped this) Heartburn/reflux but doc prescribed me omeprazole for this. headaches & lightheadedness,
although these were a pain it did subside after a few weeks & the citalopram certainly stopped my panic attacks and is certainly helping my anxiety.
I say Give it a go..you can't go on like you are and things can't get any worse you will be ok and it WILL be worth it...let me know how you go always about to share experences best I can.. you take care xx

trish1955
28-01-14, 12:01
Thanks for yr reply I am still talking my self into giving it a go hope I sm one of the lucky ones and don't get any side effect lol I will let you no worn I start the journey with the meds x

Gitte
28-01-14, 16:41
For sure it is a common site effect, to be honest its Best to stay away from all kind of medicine for nerves, Im trying to wean off Benzo Now because I went into tolerance and was so sick, and its a pure hell to get off again, i too have this feeling my teeth are too Big, too nervepain in all teeth and tons of other nasty symptoms, but very few doctors know about this and just give People more medicine and its not worth it all.......Withdrawal from such medicines is hell, really.......take Care, anexiety is a lot Easier to cope without medication in all ways!