PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazipane weight gain

Sam100322
26-01-14, 18:10
I have been on mirtazipane 45mg for 3months now and I have gained 3 and a half stone now. I really am getting conscious about it now :-( I am trying to eat healthily doesn't seem to be doing any good

Fishmanpa
26-01-14, 18:17
You've gained close to 50lbs in three months? While I do know that antidepressants can cause weight gains (I gained a few pounds while on Zoloft), that's pretty dramatic IMO. Perhaps keep a food diary for a few weeks to see what your real caloric intake is.

Positive thoughts

caramelmorris
26-01-14, 18:17
I found that. I stopped taking them in the end. Apparently it makes you crave carbohydrates.

Fishmanpa
26-01-14, 18:25
I found that. I stopped taking them in the end. Apparently it makes you crave carbohydrates.

Yeah but for most, if there is a weight gain at all, average maybe 10 pounds or so plus or minus over a longer period of time. At least that's my info on SSRIs and weight gain. I looked into all the potential effects before going on Zoloft for some depression. Maybe Mirtazipane has more of a tendency than Zoloft... I don't know the answer to that. I'm just speaking from my experience.

Positive thoughts

Sam100322
26-01-14, 18:25
Thanks fishmanpa keeping a diary is a good idea. I just seem to be hungry all the time. I'd eat a huge lunch I never get that bloated/full feeling. I think when I see the doctor in a week ill mention. To him about it. I had to go out and buy new clothes today.

nicola1980
26-01-14, 19:11
Mirtazapine is notorious for weight gain, I've read of alot people putting a tremendous amount of weight on whilst taking it, i only took it for a month but i was literally raiding my food cupboards i was so hungry all the time x x

nomorepanic
26-01-14, 19:55
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

hanshan
27-01-14, 04:27
I'm the guy who gradually gained maybe 20 kg (44 lb, 3 stone) over five years while taking mirtazapine, then lost about half of that over six months, and has kept it off since. There is no magic in it - it involves counting every calorie every day, and putting up with a bit of hunger from time to time, but nothing terrible.

Ingenious
27-01-14, 23:03
I'd second some of the comments above, Mirt has a reputation for this. When I started it turned me into a one-man eating machine. However, in my case it made me eat more but enjoy eating it too and the mental health improvements more than offset the increase in weight. My friends found my sudden new belly quite endearing and I used to pat it proudly as a symbol of my new happiness in life.

However I do acknowledge we are all different here and those sensitive to weight gain can struggle on this drug. I have a couple of friends who won't take it for that reason.

I found after a few months the food obsessions stopped, my weight stopped going up and I got it under control. I've since lost all the extra weight, partly dieting whilst still on Mirt and partly after coming off it.

ultraviolet
31-01-14, 13:40
I gained a stone in six weeks, seems to have stopped now. The fat seems to be concentrated around the belly. My arms and legs are quite toned, even though I lift weights I have always had a layer of fat all over so I'm quite confused as to what is happening.

ElizabethJane
31-01-14, 14:15
I have lost all the weight I gained whilst taking mirtazapine. I am now a healthy weight. I did this whilst still taking mirtazapine 45mg and lithium. It can be done. EJ