PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else feel daunted by the prospect of getting ill when living alone?

harasgenster
26-01-14, 18:40
After a recent break-up I am now living on my own again for the second time in my life, and I've got what might be a weird or silly nervousness about it.

I'm 27 and like I said I have lived alone before, but I feel daunted by the possibility of suffering an illness while I'm alone with no one to look after me. I'm not worried about a serious illness or anything, I just mean if I had a stomach bug, a really bad cold or flu, or some kind of infection. I'm particularly nervous about having a fever when there's no one around.

Tonight I can't get warm, I have no appetite, and I've broken out in a cold sweat. It could be a fever, but it's more likely the result of this morning's mild hangover mixed with anxiety from the stress of the break-up and moving etc. Still I feel weirdly vulnerable. I'm not sure what I think's going to happen though! When I was a kid and teen I always got delirious when I had a fever and I fainted quite a few times from being ill, so perhaps I think that will happen? I would be pretty scared of blacking out and just lying there until I came round.

I was just wondering if it's quite common for adults - whether they have an anxiety disorder or not - to be daunted by the prospect of looking after themselves while they have a fever and not having any help to hand? I just feel a bit childish and silly about the whole thing!

fruity
26-01-14, 19:06
im exactly the same. it,s my biggest fear

shakey1961
26-01-14, 19:09
Hi. I've just asked my friend who is sat next to me if she wouldn't like to be alone if she felt ill and she said yes, she could think of nothing worse. She doesn't have anxiety at all and can do everything, so as I expected before I asked her, it's quite quite normal to feel afraid if you live on your own and you're not well.

Do you have many friends? Can you get to know your new neighbours? What you need to do is get spare keys cut to your new accommodation and give them to your friends. This serves two purposes. 1. If you're ill and can't move they can get in to see you're ok and 2. If you lose your keys or lock yourself out they can come and let you in.

You need to have a support system in place. I have my keys with friends and I also have their keys. Just common sense.

Nothing to worry about - you're as normal as the rest of us!!! (Is that a good thing or a bad thing? LOLOLOL)

Fishmanpa
26-01-14, 21:40
We learn to adapt and deal with situations. I was on my own for a long time after my divorce. I was alone when I suffered my first heart attack and bypass surgery. Sure, I had friends (family was too far away) who helped out here and there but I was by myself through close to 90% of it.

Positive thoughts

harasgenster
26-01-14, 22:13
Thanks everybody, it's really reassuring to know I'm not alone on this. I'm definitely going to get some spare keys cut and give them to local friends just in case I do need help and I think that will make me feel a lot less vulnerable.

PanchoGoz
26-01-14, 23:01
Yeah I did...I used to always have my mum look after me and bring me stuff during a bug. Then one day I was on the house on my own and was going to make a 5 hour trip to go to mms for Christmas, and that day I got a stomach bug and vertigo. I could do nothing but lie by myself all day. I eventually forced myself to eat some food and water and got myself packed and on the train!
You assume you will react a certain way in a difficult situation. The body can always deal with a situation, the will to live gets you up and looking after yourself.

harasgenster
26-01-14, 23:04
Yeah I did...I used to always have my mum look after me and bring me stuff during a bug. Then one day I was on the house on my own and was going to make a 5 hour trip to go to mms for Christmas, and that day I got a stomach bug and vertigo. I could do nothing but lie by myself all day. I eventually forced myself to eat some food and water and got myself packed and on the train!
You assume you will react a certain way in a difficult situation. The body can always deal with a situation, the will to live gets you up and looking after yourself.

Thanks! That's really good to hear, and you know I've just realised I have evidence of my own that you're right. I was on a 6 hour train ride with a bad stomach bug on NYE this year - that's pretty much my worst nightmare! - and I survived just fine. It wasn't pleasant, but I got on with it. I just need to remind myself of that! :)

Rennie1989
26-01-14, 23:14
It is daunting but once it happens you'll realise how strong you really are. As a teen my parents worked shifts and long hours, if i was ill I had to look after myself. It sounds horrible at the time but you do just get on with it. Besides, you spend most of your time sleeping and watching tv that you don't notice that you're alone, it's actually nice.

bigh123
27-01-14, 11:06
tbh id rather be on my own so i don't pass it to the wife and kids .
my wife was ill last week and bassically we quarantined her to the bedroom that has an en suite .
but id imagine most people as proven above are the opposite to me

Tanner40
27-01-14, 12:37
I think this feeling is quite normal for people with anxiety. When we have panic attacks, we always look for help and reassurance about our symptoms. We have somehow learned not to trust ourselves or our own judgement. Being alone, sick, and without the prospect of anyone to help can seem to be a terrifying experience. The key is to learn to trust ourselves and the ability to take care of ourselves once again. I always try to think of all of the things that I like to do alone. That can make me look forward to time on my own.