PDA

View Full Version : Pulmonary embolism fears after cocaine use

India123
26-01-14, 21:22
For about four months now I've taken cocaine recreationally, mainly once a month, at the very most twice in a month so I'm by no means a heavy user. However, on New Years Eve I took some cocaine (only a couple of small lines but the stuff was way stronger than what I'm used to) as well as some MD mixed with alcohol. It was totally stupid I know, and I felt fine on the night but recently I've been having some funny symptoms. A few days after I started to feel sick after certain foods, for about a week I was worried I might be pregnant but after confirming I wasn't the sickness subsided slightly. About a week after new years I returned to University for my final term, I was fine for a few days until one evening I started having chest pains and pains and tingling in my limbs, which then caused me to have a massive panic attack. I've always suffered from anxiety but I've only ever had a panic attack once before and never this badly. Anyway I immediately sought medical attention thinking I was having a heart attack, they did an ECG and checked my blood pressure and said everything looked fine and it must have just been anxiety. Since then I was diagnosed with a chest infection as the pain continued and it worsens when I breathe in, I also have a cough. I took these for a week and recently finished them however the chest pain and cough is still there when I breathe deeply, particularly in the right side of my chest where my right lung is, and my right arm aches. I've been to three different doctors now and they've all said I'm fine, I recently looked up on google (I know, worst thing you can do) about Pulmonary Embolisms, since then I've been terrified as I know that cocaine use can increase the risk of blood clots and I've been feeling funny since new years. What I want to ask is is there such a thing as a delayed reaction/formation of a blood clot 26 days after taking cocaine?

I know that the drug would long be out of my system by now however my anxiety is spiralling out of control and I can't help but feel like I've done some permanent damage, even though I'm not a regular user and haven't touched the stuff since (or ever will). As I said the doctors have done an ECG and several blood pressure tests and all is fine, is that enough to rule out a possible blood clot? None of them will test any further, even after telling them about my cocaine use as they do not believe I am at risk. I wish they would as once I know I'm fine it is much easier to get over this, my anxiety is worse than it has ever been, I'm in tears every day and I'm terrified of going to sleep in case I don't wake up. As I have anxiety and I'm at a very stressful time in my life they're just putting it down to that but I wish I could know for sure so I can get this idea out of my head!

Please help!

LunaLiuna
26-01-14, 21:37
First of all I see this is your first post so welcome to NMP! :D

I'm sure you've already seen many people of here who think they have a heart problem, even after they've had multiple tests, have you looked on the symptoms page?

I had a similar problem 3 years ago that sparked my anxiety, I was soo ashamed of it and still am, but like you. On New years eve I thought I would be 'cool' and did a lot more of a certain drug than my mates and since then I've had anxiety.

Don't google, it'll only make you worse.

And don't worry, your not alone, message me if you ever need some help.

Also the chance of getting a blood clot so young is incredibly unlikely :)

India123
26-01-14, 21:59
thanks for your reply (: I have had a look and the problem is and the reason why we all get ourselves so worked up is a lot of the symptoms for anxiety are exactly the same as heart problems! I'm taking the fact that after 26 days I haven't dropped dead yet as a good sign, I used to be on citalopram for my anxiety but I came off them 7 months ago and really thought I'd managed to beat my health worries, so it's really got me down that they've returned ): I'm considering going to the doctors again tomorrow and just asking if they could check if I explain that if the pains are anxiety related, they'll go away once I'm able to convince myself it's all in my head. I feel like such a fraud going to the doctors but then as soon as it's time to go to sleep I get so worked up about it, my symptoms worsen, and the cycle continues. I also started getting pains in my leg recently, and I'm pretty sure it's because I read about Pulmonary Embolisms often starting from a clot that comes from the leg (no swelling, just aching, like I've been dancing all night, same with my arms). I really hope your anxiety has improved since then, I've been a mess ever since and the stupid thing is I didn't think a small amount of coke could bring back my anxiety like this, even though I've been on meds where a tiny pill changes everything!

LunaLiuna
26-01-14, 22:07
I understand, but I think you have to let your rational side in and attempt to accept the symptoms, I know it's hard believe me but they will start to go as soon as you do that :)

If you can, try not to go to the doctors again for reasurrance, because as many people on here have found out, it only makes things worse as you think oh 'they could of missed something' or like me you got a whole new set of symptoms,

If you do go to the doctors, make sure it's about medication! ;)

I think staying away from the substances may be a help to you as well :)

India123
26-01-14, 23:33
I'll try not to go to the doctors, I think it's got to the point where I'm bothering them so much I then worry they won't take me seriously in future, another thing to avoid worrying about! I think I'll discuss medication if this continues, I want to try to get rid of it by myself first though as I don't want to constantly be coming on and off meds.

Yes definitely avoiding substances, if anything this experience has totally put me off cocaine ever again, I'm also avoiding drinking alcohol right now besides the odd one and I'm not even drinking a lot of caffeine until I'm better, as that also messes with my anxiety!

LunaLiuna
26-01-14, 23:52
Good :D

I'm sure everything will work out just fine, and feel free to send me a message if you need any help :)