PDA

View Full Version : Back at the doctors...yet again.

Dan21
26-01-14, 21:38
Hello.

For about almost eight months, I’ve had a niggling ache in my back on the right hand side. I've been constantly trying to tell myself it's a strain or muscle pull that just hasn't healed but I've been torturing myself that it was pancreatic cancer. I got this idea in my head as shortly after my back beginning to hurt, the author Iain Banks died from pancreatic cancer and I read in an interview he first became aware of his condition by a pain in his back. So the idea I might have had this has been playing on my mind for almost six months. It's been just awful.

My partner pleaded with me to go back to the doctors and explain the situation as I've been becoming increasingly withdrawn with worry for the last couple of months. So I went back yesterday.

The doctor said that it almost certainly wasn't my pancreas as it was the wrong type of pain. He examined my back and said he thought it was 'mechanical' which I guess he means muscular-skeletal. He's ordered some blood tests to rule out anything inflammatory in my back joints but he said treat the pain with paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Yet, even with this, I still have a niggling doubt in my mind that it could be a tumour on my spine or in my back that's causing the pain. The only thing I can try to convince myself with is that it's not getting to the point where the pain is unbearable and while it does seem to be getting a little more uncomfortable, having two small children in the house who use you as a climbing frame isn't really the best thing when you're suffering with a bad back.

I could really do with some words of encouragement.

Thanks.

Fishmanpa
26-01-14, 21:56
I rearranged some key points in your post. Seems you have encouraged yourself ;)

The doctor said that it almost certainly wasn't my pancreas as it was the wrong type of pain. He examined my back and said he thought it was 'mechanical' which I guess he means muscular-skeletal......

......having two small children in the house who use you as a climbing frame isn't really the best thing when you're suffering with a bad back.

Positive thoughts

claireypoo
28-02-14, 15:59
I have this too. My doctor says muscular too, maybe acid indigestion/trapped wind. I lift my daughter a lot, so it could be that, but it's been six months on and off now. Mine isn't there at night. I feel it most lying down in the day, doesn't hurt when moving around and I can forget it when busy, but it niggles. A dull pain like a boring/gnawing or a pressure feeling. I've had bloods & Ultrasound Scan, all normal, I am struggling with it though, because it isn't going away.
Claire

Dexterjames
28-02-14, 16:24
Hello.

For about almost eight months, I’ve had a niggling ache in my back on the right hand side. I've been constantly trying to tell myself it's a strain or muscle pull that just hasn't healed but I've been torturing myself that it was pancreatic cancer. I got this idea in my head as shortly after my back beginning to hurt, the author Iain Banks died from pancreatic cancer and I read in an interview he first became aware of his condition by a pain in his back. So the idea I might have had this has been playing on my mind for almost six months. It's been just awful.

My partner pleaded with me to go back to the doctors and explain the situation as I've been becoming increasingly withdrawn with worry for the last couple of months. So I went back yesterday.

The doctor said that it almost certainly wasn't my pancreas as it was the wrong type of pain. He examined my back and said he thought it was 'mechanical' which I guess he means muscular-skeletal. He's ordered some blood tests to rule out anything inflammatory in my back joints but he said treat the pain with paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Yet, even with this, I still have a niggling doubt in my mind that it could be a tumour on my spine or in my back that's causing the pain. The only thing I can try to convince myself with is that it's not getting to the point where the pain is unbearable and while it does seem to be getting a little more uncomfortable, having two small children in the house who use you as a climbing frame isn't really the best thing when you're suffering with a bad back.

Thanks.

Right flank in back by any chance?