PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to give yourself "Self Induced Epilepsy?"

JustBenn
28-01-14, 00:54
Hi there, Im 20 year old male,

Have been very worried about it this week, I'm scared to watch flashing videos, I can't bring myself to watch it all the way through without turning away as too scared and hands turn sweaty, and fear it will give myself a seizure,

Is it possible to train your brain into getting epilepsy or seizure by reacting with fear from the flashes of images? I'm scared the reaction to it will train my brain into thinking its normal and give me a seizure?

Please can anyone chat with me?

nomorepanic
28-01-14, 01:03
No I don't think it works like that

JustBenn
28-01-14, 01:07
No I don't think it works like that

Hi, thanks, I'm just too scared, do you mind expanding on that please?

nomorepanic
28-01-14, 01:11
You can't give yourself epilepsy just by watching flashing lights

Fishmanpa
28-01-14, 01:20
Hi, thanks, I'm just too scared, do you mind expanding on that please?

What's to expand? Since you don't have epilepsy, unless you deliberately abuse alcohol or drugs to extreme excess as to cause brain damage, intentionally induce a brain damaging injury, have been through brain cancer or some other traumatic brain altering experience, the chances of even getting or having epilepsy is extremely rare. Add to that those that do have epilepsy and get seizures from light sources is even rarer.

Positive thoughts

Brunette
28-01-14, 12:11
Fishmanpa's right.

The only way to "give yourself" epilepsy is through actual brain injury or trauma. You can't think yourself epileptic. Epilepsy has an actual, physical cause.

It's like making a bruise appear on your arm just by thinking about it - can't be done.

semper solus
28-01-14, 13:53
Sorry to jump in here but I would like to say you don't have to have some sort of brain injury to have epilepsy. I was diagnosed will epilepsy about 15 years ago after having a partial and clonic sezures. It all came from nowhere. I was perfectly healthy before hand. So I don't think you can cause yourself to have epilepsy you can get it at any time of your life for no apparent reason.

Fishmanpa
28-01-14, 14:32
Sorry to jump in here but I would like to say you don't have to have some sort of brain injury to have epilepsy. I was diagnosed will epilepsy about 15 years ago after having a partial and clonic sezures. It all came from nowhere. I was perfectly healthy before hand. So I don't think you can cause yourself to have epilepsy you can get it at any time of your life for no apparent reason.

You're correct, in over half of the cases, the cause is never found. The rest can and are caused by what was mentioned. And also correct in that you cannot give yourself epilepsy.

Positive thoughts

harasgenster
28-01-14, 16:33
You definitely can't 'think yourself' into having epilepsy. I understand the fear, though. I used to worry that I would will myself into having hallucinations. I just thought the idea of having a hallucination would be really scary and I thought that if I thought too hard about it would happen.

This is magical thinking and it's irrational - it's just because you're really scared of it that you're thinking that way. Just try to remember thoughts are thoughts, they're not reality, and lots of people have thoughts like you.

JustBenn
28-01-14, 17:59

Hi thanks for commenting, how often do you have seizures? and how many meds do you take? and when was the last time you had a seizure?

semper solus
28-01-14, 22:17
Hi

I have partial seizures approx 5 times a week. And full blown seizures approx 2 a month.
I take 6 tablets a day and am still trying different ones to try and get it under control.

The last seizure I had was a partial and it was while I was in a bank at the counter yesterday.