PDA

View Full Version : Worried about mass in chest

Mitch4186
28-01-14, 18:03
Hi, this is the first time posting for me. Recently I've felt what seems to be a small mass or lump either sitting between my ribs or just under. To be more precise the feeling is just to the right side of my right nipple and I can only feel it when I take a deep breath. It feels sort of like a thump like something small popping out for a brief second in between my ribs. It is not visible from the outside, only can be felt when pressing in between my ribs and taking a deep breath.

Little bit about me, I'm 27 year old white male and overall healthy single dad. I workout 5 times a week for the past 6 years or so and lift pretty heavy weights (bench press, squats, shoulder presses, etc.). My energy is good and I've been able to continue building muscle and strength. There is no history of cancer in my family that I know of. I'm a moderate drinker (3-4 drinks a day) for the past 5 years and have never smoked (I was however exposed to second hand smoking as a kid).

My fear is that this mass or whatever it is popping out is some type of cancerous tumor. I don't feel like I have cancer, but just the thought of this being cancer is enough for me to be nervous about it. Especially being a single dad, one of my worst fears is leaving this earth before seeing my daughter grow old.

I guess I just need some type of reassurance that this isnt anything I should be worried about. I go in for an ultrasound and xray on Thursday and probably wont get the results back until next week. Until then I just need to be able to put my mind at ease and stop thinking its cancer.

I appreciate anyone reading this and look forward to your responses.

Thanks

countrygirl
28-01-14, 18:07
I have a lump on my collarbone that only because feelable when i lost alot of weight and was thin enough to feel it. I too was panicked and rushed to my Dr who said it was just normal bone variation. I felt a bit silly but he explained that all our bodies are different and I had onlynoticed it because I had lost alot of weight.

For reassurance certainly ask your Dr to feel it and they can probably explain exactly what it is and how normal it is.

Andrash
28-01-14, 18:16
Hi, this is the first time posting for me. Recently I've felt what seems to be a small mass or lump either sitting between my ribs or just under. To be more precise the feeling is just to the right side of my right nipple and I can only feel it when I take a deep breath. It feels sort of like a thump like something small popping out for a brief second in between my ribs. It is not visible from the outside, only can be felt when pressing in between my ribs and taking a deep breath.

Little bit about me, I'm 27 year old white male and overall healthy single dad. I workout 5 times a week for the past 6 years or so and lift pretty heavy weights (bench press, squats, shoulder presses, etc.). My energy is good and I've been able to continue building muscle and strength. There is no history of cancer in my family that I know of. I'm a moderate drinker (3-4 drinks a day) for the past 5 years and have never smoked (I was however exposed to second hand smoking as a kid).

My fear is that this mass or whatever it is popping out is some type of cancerous tumor. I don't feel like I have cancer, but just the thought of this being cancer is enough for me to be nervous about it. Especially being a single dad, one of my worst fears is leaving this earth before seeing my daughter grow old.

I guess I just need some type of reassurance that this isnt anything I should be worried about. I go in for an ultrasound and xray on Thursday and probably wont get the results back until next week. Until then I just need to be able to put my mind at ease and stop thinking its cancer.

I appreciate anyone reading this and look forward to your responses.

Thanks

You're way too young for cancer and it usually doesn't present itself that way so-chances that you have one are 1:1000000. Don't google, try to occupy your mind with other things. I know, waiting game is the hardest part-but you really have no reason to fear the results.

I had a similar experience with the lump-mine was in the jaw, but location doesn't matter-when I found out I had it, I was assured it was cancer. I went to my dentist and ENT doctor, and they all said it was perfectly normal thing. My ENT even explained to me that everybody had all sorts of lumps, bumps and asymmetres in his/her body. Usually these are not noticed, but when people notice, the panic starts. :)

I am not a doctor so I can't diagnose you obviously-but odds are really on your side and chances that the lump represents something fishy are really, really minuscule, if they exist at all. Therefore, give a big hug to your precious daughter and don't worry about it any more. Spend some time with her instead-it will do good to you both :)

Mitch4186
28-01-14, 18:18
Thanks for the reply. My Dr felt what i was talking about but didnt seem to concerned. It doesnt feel like its on a bone but in between somewhere. Its not painful only slightly uncomfortable when taking a deep breath.

Andrash
28-01-14, 18:19
Thanks for the reply. My Dr felt what i was talking about but didnt seem to concerned. It doesnt feel like its on a bone but in between somewhere. Its not painful only slightly uncomfortable when taking a deep breath.

There you are-your doc is not concerned, so you shouldn't be too :)

Mitch4186
28-01-14, 18:20
Thanks Andrash. That helps me put my mind at ease a little.

Andrash
28-01-14, 18:21
It was a pleasure.

LF87
28-01-14, 18:21
Hi.

You mentioned you do a lot of upper body lifting, could it be possible you've dislocated or fractured something whilst doing so? Even torn something maybe.
Try not to worry :) x

Mitch4186
28-01-14, 18:27
LF87 i suppose its possible. I know my muscles and tendons take a beating in the gym. My dr seemed to think it might be my intercoastal muscles between my ribs but theres not really any pain at all.

LF87
28-01-14, 18:44
Like Andrash says, if the GP isn't worried you shouldn't be either. I'm not one to talk about not believing what they think, but if the doc thinks it's probably muscular then it most likely will be. Waiting for appointments is horrendous, but just about every one of us on this forum has gone through the same (to discover it was nothing sinister!), so you'll get plenty of support here.