PDA

View Full Version : Rant - mental vs physical

lizzie29
28-01-14, 21:44
I just need to vent!

I'm so fed up of the way people think people with mental health issues are somewhat to blame for their problems and can "help it". Physical illnesses are viewed so differently, but mental health issues can happen to anyone as well.

I was just telling someone about a doctor with anxiety and got the response "I never thought people like doctors got anxiety". I asked why, and was told "well to be in that job, you have to be able to concentrate and do your job well".

I work fulltime, concentrate, and do my work well, and my anxiety doesn't affect my work, so why can't a doctor have anxiety? I said it's no different to saying "I wouldn't expect doctors to be diabetic, or get migraines". It's just the same!

Grrrr! People are so accepting of physical illness but not mental illness, and it drives me mad!!!

Cú Chulainn
28-01-14, 22:14
Even though you have a Mental illness it Causes physical symptoms. So I would argue that a mental is a bit of both.

lizzie29
28-01-14, 22:17
That's true. Although a physical illness could cause mental symptoms too I guess.

NE21 worrier
28-01-14, 23:11
Spot on, Lizzie.

Also, it does indeed work both ways - the mind and the body are too interlinked for it not to.

For example, when I get really anxious, it is more the physical symptoms (tight chest, lump in throat) which cause me most distress. I'd like to think I now understand how generally anxiety works and persists - the fear-adrenaline-fear cycle - but yet this knowledge makes it no easier at times to deal with those physical manifestations once they begin.

It works the other way too: before Christmas, I had a horrendous bout of manflu (obviously a physical problem) but this inevitably affected my mood too. I had a low mood for a few days as I was frustrated at my lack of ability to do things.

Anyway, the good news is that all things shall pass, mental or physical.

Take care,
Peter :)

Rennie1989
29-01-14, 09:38
I have a blog page that challenges stigma and discrimination surrounding mental illnesses and one of my pet hates are those viewing mental illness as an excuse and weakness. I wrote a blog to Eamonn Holmes when he thought those with GAD are 'not happy unless they are worried' and those for depression need a laugh because 'it's the best medicine'. If you're interested here is the link:
http://positive-mental-health.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/educating-eamonn-holmes.html

Unfortunately, this will be a long and difficult campaign to change people's views but we've come a long way. When I first started getting panic attacks 10 years ago people wouldn't touch me with a barge pole, now it's much MUCH better.

Flat Stanley
29-01-14, 10:06
Hear hear Lizzie, I couldn't agree more. I suspect, however, that mental illness can be particularly difficult for someone who has never suffered from it to understand or relate to.

Anxiety is such an irrational illness that instructing a sufferer to fix themselves is about as logical as telling a heart attack victim to apply CPR to themselves. Yet, since we display few physical symptoms it is expected that we be able to fix ourselves. It's easy for me to say this since I am reasonably stable at the moment. However, when I am in the middle of an attack or at the low point of a cycle of depression, I struggle to tell my arse from my elbow. At a time when I most need help from others is usually when I am least able to help myself.

lizzie29
29-01-14, 10:08
Thanks for everyone's replies, glad I'm not the only one who experiences it. Mental health issues are so common, and yes, views are changing, but like Rennie said, it's not quick.

Rennie, will have a look at that post, thanks!