PDA

View Full Version : Distraction

WhyWhyWhy
29-01-14, 13:20
Here's the thing

I was in work yesterday and the first hour is hell. I'm constantly plagued by bad thoughts and worries of the future and feeling excessive amounts of guilt over anything. Then as I start getting into my work I lose some of the anxiety, I mean it's still there but not at the front of my mind.

So why can't I distract myself all the time? Why can't I choose distraction over anxiety? Why do I insist on worrying? Worry about not worrying. I'm really annoyed with myself. What is going on in my faulty head?? :lac:

I did have one blip, one very loud not well liked bit of a bully canteen lady shouted at me for thinking I was leaving a plate, I filled up with tears through embarrassment and guilt. But other than that work was a huge distraction but I can't seem to keep it up

HoneyLove
29-01-14, 14:43
CBT is one of the best solutions for irrational worries and overthinking, you might like to look into it. Distraction works obviously, but only to a certain point, you're better off learning to bring your own thoughts under control.

I know you were saying you find it hard to eat in the mornings - are you eating breakfast before work? If not it might explain why you find the first hour or so more difficult.

WhyWhyWhy
29-01-14, 15:04
Hello :)

Yeah I've been eating, not straight away but I've been making an effort.

May be a dumb question but instead of eating can I not have a sugary decaf coffee? Would that do the same?

I've been reading lots of cbt things. I'm on a waiting list at the min. I don't know how long I have to wait. Thanks for replying

Thing is I'm not sure my worries are irrational. They are all quite valid and although far fetched they could happen and I'm sure to a few people they do :wacko: xxx

---------- Post added at 15:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Also been reading nothing works which I really like. I think that's gonna help me

HoneyLove
29-01-14, 15:27
Excessive worrying is irrational, the worries themselves don't have to be irrational (although it you're worrying far too much then they probably are!).

Have a look at this free online CBT course while you're still on the waiting list:

https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

And the sugary decaff coffee really won't do you any good. Sugar is a stimulant, so you're throwing that in on top of an already overstimulated nervous system, without any proper food - that's a recipe for disaster if you suffer with anxiety.

Plus sugar will burn up very quickly, giving you a blood sugar spike and then quick drop which can also spark feelings of anxiety. You're better off eating foods that will keep your blood sugars stable for longer. It doesn't have to be mega healthy, but sensible and balanced.

jill
29-01-14, 15:48
Hi hun :D

**So why can't I distract myself all the time? Why can't I choose distraction over anxiety? **

In answer to your question ..

While distraction is a good coping tool to learn and it has shown you, that it does work,:yesyes: it IS only a short term coping tool, you have to get to the root of the problem.

Anyone who has a major problem in there life even those who do not suffer panic/anxiety, will use distraction to help , but its only a short term coping tool until they can address the real problem.

Hope this helps

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XX

So, thats why

Rennie1989
29-01-14, 16:11
Distraction does not work 100% for me either, but it works very well when it does. Sometimes a worry can be so strong that it can take a while to find a distraction that works, as I find certain distractions work some of the time but not all.