PDA

View Full Version : going to prison need advice big time

gregcool
29-01-14, 21:04
Hi giys.some of you know me and some of tou dont.i posted a few months ago that i got cought downloadig thousands of cinema films by the police.they have finaly charged me for iligle downloading and suplying of these films.i have a crimanal padt which dsnt help matters..my solicitor has told me i face upto a couple of years in prison for these ofences..well for those that know me on hear know i suffer bad anxiety and depression and agaraphobia..well im in a state about it all as i scared about being put in the back of the police transport wagon in handcufs to the prison and being locked up in a small room.i cant stand being in small spaces that i cant escape so really fear this..im not excpecting prison advice but looking for advice on coping in prison with anxiety and agaraphobia.any advice please

Annie0904
29-01-14, 21:13
Greg, I really hope that it doesn't get to the point that you have to go to prison but if it does then there are prison Psychologists and psychiatrists who will be able to help you. I know you are in a new area now but please speak to your doctor and see if you can get reports from any care teams that you have been to.

TooMuchToLiveFor
29-01-14, 21:14
Hi Greg,

The first thing that comes to mind is that when you close your eyes and do mindfulness exercises with deep breathing and progressive muscle relaxation- you can transport yourself to any peaceful place you imagine. Freshen up on these type of tools now so that when you are in your new room you will be able to draw on them right away.

Also, remember that with time you will develop a "new normal" while you live out this season. It will most likely be rather rough at first, but after you get through the "start up" phase perhaps the days will get into a routine, time will pass, and you will be through this.

Best of luck to you.

shakey1961
29-01-14, 21:22
Best advice I can give is try and keep a mental picture of your body being in a river. The more you fight the running water the more tired you will get. If you relax and float and go with the river you will be less tired and you will cope.

There are listeners in Prison who are like Samaritans and you can request to see them anytime. There's also an emergency button you can press.

Try and get to know some of the other inmates and make friends, that will help. You will probably get transferred to an easier prison eventually, within a few weeks.

You need to explain your mental health as they have to take care of you. There is help available and they have a duty of care towards you. Your punishment maybe prison and the loss of your liberty, they cannot punish you by denying you physical and mental health care.

Also, write to people you know, I'm sure you have some people you can write to. Get involved in things to pass the time.

You will get through it - can't pretend it won't be easy, but you will get used to it.

Annie0904
29-01-14, 21:35
Also Greg as I am sure you know, a 2 year sentence doesn't always mean 2 year. I know someone who was given a 1 year sentence and was out after 2 months. Get support from your medical team though.

gregcool
29-01-14, 21:44
Im just shiting myself about ot all and my anxiety couldnt be any worse at the mo..constant knot in my belly and feel very anxious all day and night..plus sitting around hear all day and night thinking about it all...i hope it does become norm in prison and i get used to being in that cell...i rem i got my wife to lock me in a cuboard once to bring on anxiety and deal with it while locked in there i got her to lock me in for longer each day and the panic and anxiety got less after a week of doing it.i hope being in a cell will have the same result after a week.get used to lockup times and let ou times and find some kind or routen and structure.if i dint get panic atacks in my cell ill cope more

Annie0904
29-01-14, 22:24
You are stronger than you think Greg and you will be able to cope with. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

gregcool
29-01-14, 22:27
What makes you think im stronger than i think annie

Annie0904
29-01-14, 22:30
You have had so many things you thought you couldn't cope with Greg and you have always somehow managed to get through it. I know it hasn't been easy for you, you have gone through so much but you have battled through it and mostly stayed positive. :hugs:

Catherine S
29-01-14, 22:31
Firstly, if you are scared in small spaces this is claustrophobia not agoraphobia, although the two do cross over in certain situations. Secondly...its facinating to read all the advice being given to erm...somebody in prison! Sorry if that sounds harsh but you did say you have a criminal past? So as the old saying goes...if you can't do the time don't do the crime? My advice to you about how best to cope in a prison cell would be, when you get out don't do anything to put you back in there again.

TooMuchToLiveFor
29-01-14, 22:32
We are all stronger than we realize, Greg. :)

gregcool
29-01-14, 22:45
I still believe..my criminal past is 27 years ago petty crime when i was barley a teenager.nothing heavy.got in with the wrong crowed..i know what i done us wrong but despite what iv done.im a nice guy and very respecrfull towards people.im looking for possitive posts about dealing with prison being a long tearm sufferer of mental health.om not looking to be judged by those that dint know me..iv been on NMP for 10 years and have made some fantastic friends hear and gained fantastic suport.we are not all perfect.im not looking for pitty just advice to cope in prison with mental health

Catherine S
29-01-14, 22:53
Then I have to apologise Greg sorry...it just seemed really strange that somebody who was about to go into prison was asking for advice about anxiety...and people were actually giving it! I didn't realise that you were a long time member and that other members knew you that well. I suffer with claustrophia so know that feeling, but if its ok with you, I'll bow out gracefully at this point and leave the advice to your NMP friends. Best of luck.

gregcool
29-01-14, 22:58
No ofence taken .i still believe..as i say.im a good man that has made bad choces and am in this situation..i lost my wife of 15 years and kids and home amd my job last year and have moved 4 times and have tried to deal with all that being a long tearm mental health sufferer.then had this to deal with and being out of work.so iv had lot to deal with

Annie0904
29-01-14, 22:58
Well said Greg and no one should be judging you. We are here to support you and not to judge. I have seen what a nice guy you are. What you did was wrong and you know that. Our concern now is to support you with your mental health issues.Please speak to your mental health team about your concerns.

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

You don't know for sure that you will be sent to prison yet so maybe it will not be so bad

gregcool
29-01-14, 23:01
Thanks Annie for you never ending suport.i will speek to my doctor and the mental hralth team.for advice on this situation.x

Catherine S
29-01-14, 23:05
No judgement intended, just surprise is all, but thank you for explaining your situation...alot of people go through bad stuff in life and we are all here trying to find a way through the mud. I hope you find peace in the future :noangel:

Daisy Sue
29-01-14, 23:06
I'm hoping that your anxiety and related issues might just be your saving grace, Greg.

I don't know anything about the judicial system in regard to leniency for mental health sufferers, but morally I would like to think that the last thing they'd do is lock you up - hopefully there'll be a different punishment/charge/outcome to prison for you.

Got my fingers crossed.

Annie0904
29-01-14, 23:06
Keep in touch Greg, here to support you no matter what happens :hugs:

MRS STRESS ED
29-01-14, 23:10
Greg I wish you all the best lets hope it doesnt come to that ,they want to get out there and catch real criminals :) x

Annie0904
29-01-14, 23:10
I am hoping they give you community service instead then that will give you the voluntsry work you have been wanting :)

gregcool
29-01-14, 23:15
Thankyou so much guys..xxxxx

craigj1303
03-02-14, 13:11
I got caught downloading thousands of cinema films by the police. They have finaly charged me for illegal downloading and supplying of these films

Hi Greg

Your case is confusing me. Millions of people download films off of the net from Bittorrent sites and other means all the time in the UK. None have ever gone to jail for it. There are people that commit sex crimes that don't even serve two years! Most that any one usually gets is a "cease and desist" letter from Warner Bros lawyer for example.

How exactly have you been "supplying" films? Printing them on DVD's and selling in the Pubs? I just don't get it.

There may be a load of people on here reading your post who's own anxiety levels will rise if they think they might end up in the same situation as you by downloading movies so I think it would help to clarify exactly how you come to face a two year sentence.