PDA

View Full Version : had followup for high blood pressure

robin321
29-01-14, 22:23
So I saw my doc in December and had high BP. He asked me to follow it for a month and then go back.

I bought a monitor. Over the month I took it every few days. My average came down from 145 to 123.

I told this to him, and he took My BP there. It was 141 over 100 (which is actually good, last time it was 155 over 105 so I did reduce my fear).

He wants me to bring in the monitor to check it. If it matches his machine he will trust it. If not, I exercise, etc.. for 3 months and go back. If it is still high, medication.

This has bummed me out. I am now very worried the machines won't match. Heck, I get fluctuations of 10 pts all the time. Then he won't believe it, and I will take medication that I possibly don't need!

Catherine S
29-01-14, 22:37
Hi, yes this happened the same way for me, my BP was/is always higher in the surgery than at home and my doctor asked me to take my home monitor in for him to check it was the same reading as his, which it was, so he then accepted that my BP was more or less normal at home. Makes you wonder how many people are given tablets for high BP based on this though :ohmy:

countrygirl
30-01-14, 12:18
My GP says that if you have high blood pressure it is consistently high and you will not get any normal readings. He got me to take mine twice a day and three readings each time 10 mins apart every day for 6 weeks. The first week it was borderline everytime but after that it was totally normal everytime once I had got used to doing it so was not as anxious. He was happy to accept results as it was the trend of results he was looking at and not the machine.

Maybe take yours more often like I did before you go back.