PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety

vrd_quest
31-01-14, 10:50
Dear All,

My Name is Rolf and 36 years old, I am suffering from Health anxiety. it all started around 7 months back , when one of my close friend died due to cardiac arrest. I started surfing the net ( Dr. Google ) to know more on it. Within 3-4days of from this incidentI was rushed to emergency thinking i got an attack to. My ECG was done and all other test related to heart . Everything came out normal. After this reports also, my mind was tempting me to search more on google. I started feeling numb / tingling sensation, neck pain , twitching in the chest.. Did all sort of Test. including MRI / EAR / KIDNEY / LIVER ETC. EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL , my fear was growing and that something unknown written for me.

Finally One of the doctor recommended me to refer the Physicatrist clinic and during this he has given the term for mycase as 'Hpercondriac' and CBT Theraphy. He gave me some medication, Overall it really helped me. But still I am not fully out of it.

Now the thing is i dont have panic attacks or severe anxiety but still whenever i read news anything related to person die to due to cardiac related. my anxiety start rising up and it remains for 2-3 days. During such thoughts my mind doesnt except anything but its all fear everywhere.

If the person is in my age group then, thought arise that this can happen to me also.
I want to come out of this and really want to lead a normal life. Can anyone suggest some real life example. tips to overcome this hypercondriac anxiety

saab
31-01-14, 11:06
Hi Rolf. I think you will find that many people on this forum have the same story. A traumatic event has triggered anxiety and now they struggle to think logically.

I think you have to retrain your mind. Do you have any cbt exercises that you can do when anxiety arises? My anxiety is very focussed on my heart, so when I feel anxious I will write down how I feel, then write a rational response. I even make a list of all the doctors who have said I am ok.

I also use the method given in Claire Weekes' books - you let the negative thoughts drift past you and mentally 'float' through your activities. View your thoughts as a river - just sit on the river bank and observe them, don't be drawn into the thought stream.

vrd_quest
02-02-14, 14:57
Thanks saab. Well i had done CBT SESSIONS EARLIER... IT DID HELPED ME... WELL CAN U GIVE ME MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE BOOK WHICH U MENTIONED HERE

:)