PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice, Words of Wisdom after Illness

jackie13
31-01-14, 16:35
Hi Guys!

How are you all?

Well, I have suffered on and off for along time with anxiety and a bit of depression. Over the last year and a half, I have managed to get on top of this through CBT, learning and support. Almost to the point now that when I do get a pang of anxiety, my brain seems to work its magic and get rid!

However, over Xmas I had a serious fall and I broke my nose! As I fell on a pavement, I suffered whiplash and put my already delicate back out. I have always been sporty, played Rugby League for the English Ladies against the Australian Ladies in 1997, I teach golf to Juniors under the age of 18 and I enjoy fishing lol:) All this in the past has resulted in me suffering with to inflamed discs which rest on 2 already swollen nerves.

In October 2013 I had enough and went to the Doctors. I explained my pain and she checked my knee reflexes, the right one was fine, the left one had no reflex, she kept hitting me with the thingy that they use and then proceeded to say "you are putting it on", dunno how I can do that doh! Anyways, she said she would put a referral letter through to the hospital physio.

In November it got worse and I ended up going to the walk in centre where they gave me more painkillers. I decided in the meantime whilst waiting for the letter that I would pay to go to a private Chiropractor who has worked wonders but is VERY expensive whilst still waiting for my referral letter. After my fall breaking my nose, it got worse and last Friday it gave way. I was climbing the walls in pain. I went down to the A & E on Friday morning at 7am, the nurse gave 2 x full strength Cocodamol, never taken these and I hadn't had anything to eat. I was put back in the waiting room and felt sick, and completely out of it within 15 mins. An hour later the Doctor called me through and gave me 2 x Tramadol, never had these either, then half an hour after they gave me 10mg of Diazipam as it is used as a muscle relaxant. So within approx. 3 hours I was TOTALLY drugged up. After another hour they discharged me, not asking if I had anyone at home and it took me nearly half an hour to use my phone due to me being as high as a kite.

Now, they gave me tramadol to last me 3 days and Diazipam to be taken every 4-6 hours. I hate taking tablets that make me feel not in control. So I have been taking one Tramadol and day and half a Diazipam.

The reason for this long post is that last night and this morning I had anxiety and I am now concerned that I have somehow got addicted to the Tramadol and Diazipam, is this possible after only 5 days? If so, they are all going in the bin when I get home.

To cut a long story short, I phoned the Doc, he admitted initial letter had not been sent from back in October, I received the letter yesterday, rang the NHS Physio dept to make an appointment and was told that it may take 12 weeks. I explained my constant pain and the reply was "we deal with people who have had serious car accidents here yours is not a priority".

Fortunately, my husband has private healthcare from his work for both of us, so he has got the ball rolling today with that.

To this end, and sorry if I have rambled, could I be addicted? I have got lots of Tramadol and about 6 Diazipam left when they should have all be taken by Monday just gone.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Luv and hugs
Jackie xx

Fishmanpa
31-01-14, 17:33
Hi Jackie,

My Goodness! You've been through some stuff! Sorry to hear you're hurting.

I can relate to the pain as I went through cancer last year. I was on narcs for over 9 months. You definitely get addicted to "real" pain killers as in narcotics. It's not addiction as in drug abuse but your body is definitely reliant on them. When it was time to come off of them, I had to do it slowly and in phases. I made the mistake of trying cold turkey and that was awful!

So... finally off narcs and was given Tramadol. I will probably be on them for the rest of my life as I have rather painful side effects from my treatment that OTC remedies don't touch. I can assure you that they are not addictive. It's not a narcotic. They are just a step above OTC drugs. I asked my doctor specifically about that as I didn't want to go through what I did with the narcs. I don't have experience with Diazipam but was taking Ativan for a bit. No problem with that at all. Only used it as needed anyway fro stress during treatment as it relaxed me while getting rads and such and helped me sleep.

Hope you feel better soon!

Positive thoughts

jackie13
31-01-14, 22:04
Hi Mr F

Thanks SO much for responding and your advice and knowledge.

I am sorry to hear of the pain you have been through.

I honestly can say I have never experienced pain like this, maybe I suppose mentally but never physically!

I have only taken 2 Tramadol today. It's nighttime when everything stiffens and starts spasms that's the worse:(

I am going to think positive thoughts.

Thank you.

Luv & hugs
Jackie xxxx

Fishmanpa
31-01-14, 23:46
I typically take 100mg (2 50mg pills) 1-2 times a day depending. Pain sucks! One of the things I was told during treatment and afterwards was to not be resistant to taking something for pain. Being in pain can actually hinder recovery. If you're a bit reluctant, perhaps try a lesser dose to keep things under control during the day and take a little more at bedtime to help you sleep.

Positive thoughts