PDA

View Full Version : How to Grow Your Dragon

TooMuchToLiveFor
31-01-14, 21:46
(It has been brought to my attention that this might be helpful to people who only look under the Health Anxiety forum, so I am reposting this post from my thread "Musings: The Dragon Within" just in case it would benefit any of my HA friends.)

HOW TO MAKE YOUR DRAGON GROW BIGGER AND STRONGER:

Feeding your dragon:
The most important thing you can do to grow a big, strong Anxiety Dragon is- FEED IT. How else will it grow? Anything that isn't fed eventually shrivels up and dies, so if we are going to help our dragons be powerful enough to take over our lives we must pay close attention to their diets. Also, remember DRAGONS ABSOLUTELY AREN'T CAPABLE OF FEEDING THEMSELVES. WE MUST DO THAT FOR THEM.
Diet Suggestions:

First and foremost- FEAR.

Now, what is the best form of fear for optimum dragon growth? After much research, it seems without a doubt that GOOGLE is the best known source for FEAR FOOD. It is highly sustainable as the amount of Google available is infinite, and no matter how finicky your dragon is-- if you look long enough there is absolutely a flavor and texture that will suit him perfectly.

For example- your dragon is craving something that lines up with the following:
Tooth ache
Peeling Toenails
Racing Heartbeat
Itchy Skin

Guess what? In ONE CLICK you can find several recipes that have those ingredients!

What about if you don't know what your dragon is craving? Well, just be sure to pay attention online to news stories, "health sites", etc. Power of suggestion is sure to make something sound good. Also, since you are just sure your dragon's favorite food is cancer, heart, or breathing related....there are many sites dedicated just to these flavors---have a look around and eventually there is sure to be something that will get that dragons juices flowing. Once your dragon has started eating- it is amazing that they will consume almost anything!

Other great form of dragon food is simply your own thoughts! Amazing how you can get that dragon growing by leaps and bounds just by letting your mind wander where it will. Now, the mind can be controlled and thoughts can be captured, but if you want a dragon so big that none of your friends or family will even be able to comprehend how it came to be.....just give your thoughts permission to roam as wild and free as they would like. (If you think Google's possibilities are limitless....wait until you see what an unbridled mind can do! Amazing stuff!)

PAYING ATTENTION TO YOUR DRAGON:
Now, once that dragon has been given a fully, nutritious diet you can sustain and enhance his growth by paying lots and lots of attention to him and the symptoms he makes you feel. Some examples of this are:

Feel your pulse. Constantly. Time it. Watch it beat through your clothes. Have someone watch to see if they can see your pulse beating in your neck.

Hold your hands out in front of you- watch how terribly they tremble. (Of course, it's totally harmless, but your dragon will surge with pride at how you are reacting!)

From top of head to bottom of toes- do a thorough self-body scan. Pinch, prod, rub, poke every bit of yourself until you find something that you YOU THINK is abnormal. If you don't find anything the first time through-- keep going. Eventually something will turn up. If it because your manipulation is what has inflamed it- that's ok. You can surely find a reason to justify its existence.

Listen and wait for every gurgle, ache, pain, itch, twitch, vision "issue", weird head feeling, forgetful moment, etc. (Your dragon will be so excited by your complete focus on him that he will start throwing you new things to think about just to please you.)

Be sure to isolate yourself so you and your dragon can live a little life together just the two of you.

One of the more interesting ways to keep that dragon growing strong is to avoid anything that gets him riled up. I know, I know, that sounds counterproductive, but it's true! Proven again and again!
If your dragon starts kicking up a storm when you go to the gym- DO NOT GO! He will grow two sizes!
If your dragon throws a fit about supermarkets, family gatherings, driving on the interstate, even leaving your bedroom or taking a shower- AVOID THOSE THINGS AT ALL COSTS and you will have a dragon ready to enter in the Guiness Book of World Records.

Get reassurance wherever you can. Again and again. It is like a drug for your dragon. Picture your monster size dragon just rolling around in catnip or bigger than life on speed.....that is what reassurance does for your dragon. And he gets even bigger.

THINGS TO AVOID WHEN GROWING A DRAGON:
*Do not heed the advice or listen to the reports of your doctors. This will shrink your dragon faster than you can believe. It doesn't matter that the doctors have studied for years, have years of experience with health issues you haven't even yet found on Google, and that they see the various diseases you are obsessing about and actually KNOW what they look like. It doesn't matter what the tests say, the scans show, or the bloodwork comes back as. You just keep believing the thoughts that dragon whispers in your ear...., because afterall....anxiety knows best, right? Doesn't that make the most sense?

*If your doctor prescribes you medicine- DO NOT TAKE IT. It will shrink your dragon.

*Whatever CBT gives you to take on- give it a polite nod, and then file it with the other things that are not good for your dragon.

*Above all- do NOT read anything by Dr. Claire Weekes. (My dragon has never been the same since. She is truly a small, pathetic, wounded little thing. I actually feel sorry for her.) Do not try to understand any of the REAL physiology behind the anxiety symptoms of the dragon (links for panic attacks, symptoms, and more on the left of this page- STEER CLEAR!). Once you do- whether you like it or not,.....your dragon will melt away into a teeny, tiny little version of himself. Truly not impressive if you are wanting the type of dragon that can rule the world....or at least your world.

LunaLiuna
31-01-14, 21:50
I really need to print this out! :doh:

TooMuchToLiveFor
31-01-14, 21:51
LOL!

I need to start collecting all of the wonderful quotes you list! I love them!

flatterycat
02-02-14, 13:37
Love this - thank you

Andrash
02-02-14, 14:01
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your dragon grow? With google tells and pulsechecks and pretty lumps all in a row.:)

Tanner40
02-02-14, 14:13
I read this again this morning. Absolutely amazing, Too Much.

Timisnotmyname
02-02-14, 15:05
Excellent :)

Spondoolicks
03-02-14, 20:34
Fantastic, inspiring and very informative piece. Love it

MRS STRESS ED
03-02-14, 20:52
Mary Mary quite contrary, how does your dragon grow? With google tells and pulsechecks and pretty lumps all in a row.:)

ToMuchToLiveFor love your post and Andrash lol :D

AnxiousPansa
03-02-14, 20:56
this made me laugh whilst also giving ME serious food for thought not my dragon hehe

Spondoolicks
04-02-14, 18:50
I've already said that this is a brilliant post but again would like to thank TooMuch for a truly inspirational post. I was going through the trauma of my usual heart anxiety today and remembered this post. It made me feel upbeat and reminded me of all the things that I need not do to feed my dragon. It took my anxiety away and made me think more clearly. Thank you again

Worriedwellornot
16-02-14, 20:58
Brilliant post.

Kmccluskey
17-02-14, 00:30
very good post, and extremely relevant to me

TooMuchToLiveFor
08-03-14, 02:52
To all my NMP friends who replied to this post- I just want to thank you, and also see how you are all doing? I haven't been around much the last two weeks, and am now getting caught up……hope you are all doing well and that your dragons are under your submission and behaving themselves. Mine gave me a good sized surprise attack today, but I won the fight…..definitely can tell she got a few powerful hits in though…..may be feeling the after effects of today's attack for a few days.

TooMuchToLiveFor
25-03-14, 18:43
Seeing as there are so many folks viewing the HA forum these days, I thought I would give this a bump…..

Hope it helps someone today!

Lisa.w1979
25-03-14, 19:06
brilliant, made me giggle.

flossy74
25-03-14, 19:21
Good timing just what I needed to read, thanks :-)

KLP
25-03-14, 22:51
TMT,

How come I've only just come across this?

Glad I did though. :)

jab1982
26-03-14, 00:11
This is so true! Thanks for this! I am battling with merely observing the abnormal and not running to the doctor immediately. It's a battle, let me tell you!

Catherine S
26-03-14, 00:25
Problem is that I love dragons (well I am Welsh) so can never see them as the enemy. For all those associating dragons with anxiety, pleeeese have a re-think, and maybe exchange dragon for devil?

TooMuchToLiveFor
23-08-14, 03:18
BUMP.

(Just thought I would pop in for one sec to send this out again. To my dear friends- I am doing well overall in my "new normal." Still battle, but the war is definitely in my favor. Hang in there all of my fellow warriors. Life is beautiful. Just hard sometimes. VERY hard sometimes. But, still precious- and each moment is to be treasured FOR WHAT IT IS.)

*Much love to Tanner, FMP, Luna, KLF, MrA, LeFi, and my other dear friends that have held my cyber-hand throughout this last year.

---------- Post added at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

Oh, and just a quick note: for those of you that are fellow dragon lovers…….if you go back to my original thread (Musings: The Dragon Within)-- you will see that I am not demonizing the dragon….rather that the dragon--- is ME. A part of me. A part that needs to be comforted, quieted, and even somewhat reprimanded……., but a part of me just the same. :)

Donovandine
23-08-14, 06:26
This post is amazing <3

mm36
23-08-14, 06:48
Great post. My dragon has certainly been more under control since finding NMP.

luc
23-08-14, 07:44
Great post ISB xx

Fishmanpa
23-08-14, 12:58
Great to see you post TooMuch. Very happy to hear you're winning the battle one battle at a time. It seems it's becoming easier as each time there's a little less of the enemy and you're better prepared and have built your defenses up :)

Problem is that I love dragons (well I am Welsh) so can never see them as the enemy. For all those associating dragons with anxiety, pleeeese have a re-think, and maybe exchange dragon for devil?
I thought it was a rather good analogy actually. Not that it's a demon per se' but an angry dragon breathes fire. The devil is known as the "beast". "Beast" is the word associated with cancer. I had a "Beat the Beast" fundraiser prior to treatment. To me anyway, a dragon is a far less threatening but can inflict some damage when pissed off and breathing fire. They've primarily been portrayed in the negative throughout the history of mythology and literature. In many ways it's like snakes. Snakes are perceived in a primarily negative light. They've been associated with evil and the devil since history began (Adam and Eve for example), yet many people love snakes and even keep them as pets. Same thing though...piss off a snake and get bit. Piss off a dragon and get burned. But when a dragon is trained or behaving, no worries. Thus the analogy.

Positive thoughts

xAsianFidgetx
23-08-14, 13:40
"Feel your pulse. Constantly. Time it. Watch it beat through your clothes. Have someone watch to see if they can see your pulse beating in your neck. "

-Looks like me! I do this everytime...

KLP
29-08-14, 18:06
Hi ya Too Much Luna, Fishmanpa and fellow cyber friends. I haven't been on here for a long time. Living life as best as I can, adapting to the new me and getting on with things the only way I know how. I haven't been on here for months which was/is apart of my progression. I have been successful so far and not taken antidepressants, but I'm getting to the point where I may have to knock on the door of my doctors again and ask her advise. Lingering symptoms even though I have recovered from my health anxiety (or at least I'm telling myself this!). But I truly got over the worst of it, and I pray I never return.

Peace guys

KLP XXX

TooMuchToLiveFor
23-09-14, 03:26
Bumpity Bump Bump
….Just in case someone needs to read this. xoxoxox

KLP
03-10-14, 15:38
I'll help refresh this TMTLF. Stay well.KLP. X

LunaLiuna
03-10-14, 17:24
Just logged in after a long time away, and this brought an instant smile to my face. I thought everyone had disappeared! It's so great to see everyone still here :)

I haven't been doing very well over the past couple of days. But over the past couple of months I've been so much better! The downturn is probably because I know university officially starts tomorrow. Odd date I know, I have no idea why they picked a Saturday. Not only this, but my grandparents are both very ill. It makes it even worse because they were such an instrumental part in helping tame my dragon.

Anyway, I hope everyone's doing well! I'll be hanging around here a bit more often, I expect, so see you all around.

:D