PDA

View Full Version : Need some thoughts from others

Emma_student
01-02-14, 18:37
Hi everyone,
So as my username and other posts suggest, i suffer from anxiety. Recently, the anxiety has diminished and some sort of depression has set in (id consider it low mood rather than depression) Im trying to work out how and where these things have come from; as a sort of self-help thing, and i need some hope from people who are going through this or who have come out of it. My thinking is that due to a lot of struggles in my childhood, i have developed anxiety and low mood and because of this, i cant be cured, that i will struggle with this forever and this scares me A LOT. I can recall one point where i had had an argument with my mother who wouldnt let me go to a birthday party, i then went on to tell the birthday girl by text that i was really upset and wanted to end my life (which i never attempted, i was just really upset) This caused me to be even more upset that id ruined that girls party. From then on i had bouts of feeling low and telling my mum that i was scared to die, didn't feel genuinely happy, crying etc. Then in October, i had my first panic attack but started CBT and saw a councellor ASAP. But as the anxiety got somewhat under control, i feel like depression is setting in.

Can anyone give me some hope on this subject? Should i go on the medication my GP recommended?

Oosh
02-02-14, 15:08
For me I stopped trying to understand why because if I was doing that I was ruminating and thinking about anxiety. Much better for your mood if you can focus on non-anxiety subjects and ideally forget anxiety altogether.

I'd have a setback if I remembered anxiety thinking because it would mean I'd get trapped back in the cycle.

Do and think about things that make you feel enjoyment and interest. I don't know whether trying to solve something from the past will help the way you feel today.

Meds work for some and not others. I tried Prozac for four years. At the time I raved about it. But afterwards I'd have to say it made social anxiety worse, which wasn't ideal. I tried cipralex too I think. Noticed lethargy quite early on which wasn't present on Prozac, stopped.
More inclined to do exercise these days to boost mood.