PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Can't breathe, terrified.

Melissaxo
01-02-14, 20:50
Hi everyone. So this started last night when I got home from work. I was laying down to sleep (I work til about 2 or 3 in the morning) and all of a sudden my heart was racing, couldn't breathe, chest felt tight and painful etc. I've had anxiety for a long time, panic attacks too but this just didn't feel like it? I went to the hospital. They didn't really take me too seriously, or do anything but an EKG. I came home in the morning feeling okay, but now it is starting all over again! What could it be? I have a really strong fear of blood clots, could that be an issue with the tightness in my chest and feeling like I can't breathe?

Thanks for any responses guys.

TooMuchToLiveFor
01-02-14, 20:53
Hi Melissa,

In my non-medical opinion it sounds exactly like a panic attack. My panic attacks had such severe physical symptoms that until I knew what they were I honestly thought I was dying.

Have you read the "Panic Attack" and "Symptoms" articles on the top left of this page? VERY helpful.

Melissaxo
01-02-14, 21:00
I've had lots of panic attacks before, but this just felt different, I think? I'm such a mess right now I don't even really know how I'm feeling. And like it starts when I'm just relaxing and barely worrying. Is it normal for a panic attack to last multiple days? :S

Fishmanpa
01-02-14, 21:06
Well, if you really couldn't breathe, you wouldn't be posting right? That leaves the logical reason od a panic attack based on the symptoms and the site you're posting on. I've had couple of panic attacks in my life and they're certainly not a basket of puppies that's for sure.

Just know that it will pass and you'll be Ok.

Positive thoughts

TooMuchToLiveFor
01-02-14, 21:07
For some reason ALL of my panic attacks came on when I was relaxing. Totally sucks! Also, anxiety symptoms often change and come in different forms, so you could definitely have a "different kind" of panic attack.

My understanding is the panic "attack" (adrenaline surge) can only last up to 10 minutes as it burns itself out, but I swear I had one week of one long panic attack. This is explained by the after affects of an adrenaline surge, and then as we have fear over what we just experienced, and fear over it happening again- our sympathetic nervous system hears us saying "we're in danger" and shoots out more adrenaline to help us "fight or flee." What ends up happening is a terrible case of fear, adrenaline, fear, adrenaline, and on and on.

If you can do some diaphragmatic breathing it will help your parasympathetic nervous system kick in. This is the system of "rest and digest" and will help calm you down.

Above all- and this is WAY easier said than done- but try not to fear the feelings. That is all they are. Feelings. They cannot hurt you. It just feels awful. The more you fear it and get worked up, the more adrenaline, the more symptoms you experience.

Melissaxo
01-02-14, 21:28
Thanks guys. TooMuchToLiveFor I never really put much thought into the fact that in the back of my head, I'm still terrified I'm going to feel the same way again. I guess I brought it in on myself.
Diaphragmatic breathing? Would that be like taking deep breaths for a certain ammount of seconds, etc?

TooMuchToLiveFor
01-02-14, 22:12
Yes....now, this is hard to do when your adrenaline is pumping, but don't worry about "doing it right." When I first started it was hard because my heart was pounding away and my breathing felt shaky and shallow, but, remember, you are truly fine. Your adrenaline is just making your body react as if you just ran a race.

Sit upright or lay in a comfortable position with your eyes closed. Try to let your body sink into the position without tension.
Breathe in for four seconds, hold two seconds, breathe out for four or five seconds. Do this for at least five minutes (ten would be better- but even five will seem like forever since you aren't used to it). When you breathe in you want your chest to remain still, but your belly to fill with air and then let it out. (This is how we breathe when we sleep.)
Focus on your breathing- the way it feels coming in and out. Think of breathing peace in and exhaling anxiety. Your mind is going to wander, but just keep bringing it back to your breathing.
After about five minutes, if you can continue, sit upright (if you aren't already) still keeping your eyes closed and place your your feet on the floor. Continue your breathing, but focus on the bottoms of your feet. The feelings of the floor against your feet. After a few minutes let your mind scan through your body and wherever you are having any sensations rest your mind there awhile and breathe into them. Observe the feelings without giving them any emotion. Just let them be and breathe into them. After a few minutes go back to focusing on just your breathing yet again.

This will calm your sympathetic nervous system and activate your parasympathetic nervous system. It isn't about just "chilling out" or a placebo effect. It is a true physiological reaction. :)