PDA

View Full Version : gabapentin and weight gain

darline
02-02-14, 03:07
has anybody experienced weight gain with gabapentin? I take 300-400 mg in the evening for anxiety and insomnia. I am also on 15mg daily of Lexapro, and take clonazepam .5 (sometimes half a pill) prn for anxiety. I seem to have gained around 5-6 pounds in the last six months. Any help would be appreciated.

Emphyrio
03-02-14, 05:03
I've not taken it before, but from what I've read, it does cause people to gain weight. Do you feel that it is helping you? I guess 5-6 pounds isn't that great when you consider that people on some antipsychotics gain 70 to 80 pounds or more!

SarahH
03-02-14, 14:14
Yep....you will gain weight...sorry to have to break the bad news.

I gained weight around my middle (about a stone)

Sarah

Mark13
05-02-14, 19:43
has anybody experienced weight gain with gabapentin?
I don't think gabapentin is licensed here (UK) for anxiety or insomnia, but my wife took it for some time for sciatic nerve pain, and she lost plenty of weight going to diet classes - so it certainly doesn't stop you losing weight, which some drugs I've tried seem to do.

Same with pregabalin, from hanshan's experience. Personally I gained 9lbs of fluid and couldn't shift it but we're all different :)

My wife's now on pregabalin for the nerve pain and struggling to lose weight (at her classes again) so in her experience, gabapentin was the better drug when trying to lose weight.

Mark