PDA

View Full Version : how long does it take cholesterol to build up to where its a problem??

eddy1608
02-02-14, 11:21
i suffer bad health anxiety over my heart i get a lot of chest aches and pain and i ve ecgs and i had blood work done to see if there was any heart issues in september/october 2012 and i was told all was good my cholesterol was bang on what it should be for my age i was 23 at the time but know the cholesterol thing is bothering me so just curious if anyone has any knowledge on how long it takes to build up to block arteries and become an issue?
thanks

Magic
02-02-14, 11:47
Hi Eddy,
Having a cholesterol test every twelve months is a good idea. You are very young.
I was in my early fifties when I had my first test. I had left it to late and went on to medication. Just depends if heart disease runs in the family.
Exercise and healthy diet is a good thing

Fishmanpa
02-02-14, 12:59
Hi Eddy,

I have heart disease. I also have had cholesterol issues most of my life which along with smoking, a family history of heart disease and a less than healthy lifestyle contributed to two heart attacks, bypass surgery and most recently stents.

At your age, there is nothing to worry about. Plaque buildup in the arteries takes many, many years to get to the point of causing issues. AND, it will only cause issues if you 1. Treat your body poorly and 2. have a family history of heart disease.

You can overcome #2 by taking care of yourself. It's not rocket science. Do as I say not as I did and you can avoid issues later in life.

Eat right! Avoid fatty foods, processed foods and foods typically high in cholesterol. Avoid junk food! Avoid foods that are high in salt. Include plenty of fruits and fresh vegetables and nuts. Exercise regularly and don't smoke!

Add heart healthy supplements to your diet. Fish oil is an excellent source of good fat and Omega 3s and will boost your good cholesterol. Vitamin E helps keep your total cholesterol in check. Garlic is a great natural way to lower cholesterol, A B complex helps your body handle stress better and as you know, less stress = better health overall.

So, to answer your question. It takes many, many years... basically abusing yourself from your teens into your late thirties to get your arteries to the point of causing major issues. I speak from experience.

You're in a great place to start taking care of yourself and avoid issues in the future. All you need to do is actually do it.