PDA

View Full Version : Flying and travel

Ats666
02-02-14, 15:58
My cousin unfortunately passed away Friday morning, I still don't know the reason, which has obviously triggered my HA. I live in the uk and he lives in Connecticut, USA. My wonderful mother is paying for me to go and say goodbye and she is coming with me. I am so scared of the flight, of the flying affecting my heart, of something bad happening whilst I am away. How can I control these fears. Not sure how to manage the flight, I'm not usually scared of travel, but with my heightened anxiety it is causing a problem. I'm heartbroken about Ben, but I am trying to stay strong as he would tell me to do xx

Andrash
02-02-14, 16:13
Take a sleeping pill shortly before you enter the plane-that will solve the flight issue.

Annie0904
02-02-14, 17:44
Try to think positive about the flight, how you will have time to relax, watch a movie, be waited on :) Take some relaxing music. If you can get some diazepam from your doctor they will help to keep you calm if you do start to panic.
I am sorry it is under sad circumstances that you need to travel but it will be a good opportunity for you to see other family members and pay your respects. :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Fishmanpa
02-02-14, 18:17
I'm so sorry about your cousin :(

Unless you have a serious pre-existing heart condition, there's absolutely no issue with air travel concerning your heart.

Have a safe trip and again, my condolences.

Positive thoughts

ray52
02-02-14, 18:33
I had a similar problem last year with a plane flight, my doctor gave me some low dose diazepam which helped me get through it

Tessar
02-02-14, 20:05
Hi ats. I can well imagine how scary the thought of this flight would be but I really do believe you can do it. Right now this will seem like unimaginable in terms of what you can manage but sometimes when it is necessary, it is possible to really push our boundaries.
For me, long haul is a case of having things to do on the flight to distract me. Be that listening to music, watching films , reading a book, writing..... I am always very well prepared. In fact even on short flights I always have things to do. Simply because a busy mind is less likely to dwell on what bothers us.
Also think of this in plain factual or statistical terms. Think how many people (millions) every day, every week, year and so on take flights. People on the whole do not anticipate things going wrong. Safety records speak for themselves. It is unusual for anything to happen health wise. Vast numbers of people make these flights all the time without incident so in this respect you can feel reassured. Really.... The numbers speak for themselves.
It's great your mum is going with you, that will also help alot, have u bn able to discuss how you feel with her? Both about how upset you are about Ben and also your fear over the flight?
It is a big deal of course it is and Although the thought of the flight is daunting, you could think of it this way too. As you are doing this for your cousin, imagine how proud he would be of you for achieving such a massive thing?
Indeed he had so many helpful and appropriate things he could say to you that made you feel more comfortable and reassured. He still lives on in your heart and your mind, in fact he always will. Draw on that resource. Imagine you are talking to him & he is giving you assurance about the flight. He can help u because he's there with you still. His advice and the feelings of being cared for and comforted that he gave still exist within you. you can use this to help you through at any time you need to.
Yes he might tell u to stay strong but I am sure also he would totally understand and empathise with your sadness over the loss of such a wonderful friend. He would hug you perhaps.
I am sending you hugs and encouragement. I am happy to help you make this flight..... So if u need more advice just let me know. Xxxx

Ats666
02-02-14, 20:56
Thank you for your kind words and replies...I will do it!!!! May need help from GP but I will do it x

Tessar
02-02-14, 21:49
Nice one!!!! You will too! As I said, u need any more help or just to chat..... U know where I am :-)