PDA

View Full Version : Sick with anxiety and stomach

jillyb
02-02-14, 19:28
Been having awful stomach problems for weeks and weeks now. Have been taking ppi's which helped a bit but stopped them last Monday. It's now come back with a vengeance. Acid stomach, heartburn, bloating, nausea, pains etc. all the time. Now out of my mind with worry. I have been suffering from chronic anxiety but I cannot believe this is the cause. Absolutely convinced it's really serious and terrified of going back to the doctor as I am completely phobic about things medical. Have taken a diazepam but it's done nothing to calm me. Sure this is it and so frightened.

summersun
02-02-14, 20:56
Hi, don't know that I can help you at all, but I can sympathise with you! I have had stomach issues for few weeks too very similar to yours. I am also medical phobic doctors, pills etc. so havn't been anywhere near the doctor! My symptoms seem to come and go and are varied heartburn, reflux, aches and pains upper abdomen, behind sternum, upper back, shoulder blades, ribs etc. I suffer from IBS and was told that it can affect all parts of your digestive system so I am hoping this is a flare up of this which can last for weeks! I can go out for the evening to eat and drink wine and forget all about it, so assume my anxiety when dwelling on it is making it worse. Have read some articles that say as we get older our stomach makes less acid and the symptoms of less acid are the same as too much acid so I am reluctant to take an acid suppressor all the time. Also my sleep is never disturbed, I sleep well so think if there was something wrong it would wake me, that's me comforting myself ha,ha!

I have had HA for many years and unfortunately the digestive system is the first thing to be affected for me. You do feel very alone at times because other people don't understand the way you feel and you end up in a vicious cycle of worry, fear and symptoms.

I do think distraction and concentrating on something else, reading, talking to friends, television, hobbies etc is very helpful although it is not always easily done.

Sorry I am not very helpful but just wanted to sympathise!

Xanderboo
03-02-14, 13:34
Jillyb - just a quick post as out and about - excuse the brevity - my gp said to me that you need to continue for a good while with the ppi's for them to do their job. Basically, you may have too much acid for whatever reason and it h
as damaged the stomach lining causing irritation (excessive belching, indigestion etc) and in order for the stomach to repair itself it needs to have less acid for a good few weeks. Basically the ppis need to be taken to give the stomach time to heal itself. Why did u stop taking them? Also, you coyld increase tge dosage. And ask for an endoscopy! Xxx big hugs xxxxx

HoneyLove
03-02-14, 13:47
Jilly when you come off PPIs they can cause what's known as acid rebound. Basically without the drug your stomach begins to create a bit too much acid and can bring all the symptoms back briefly. It doesn't mean that your problem hasn't been resolved, but the rebound effect might make you think otherwise.

Eat a plain diet and drink lots of water for a few days, use antacids if you need to, and it should resolve.

Usually with PPIs is better to wean yourself off them rather than just stopping them directly, this can help lessen the rebound effect.

Did your doctor advise you to stop taking them? Usually they need at least 2 months to really get to work, and it can take up to 2 or 3 weeks to really start seeing a result from them.

Stress/anxiety can absolutely be a cause of gastritis and stomach problems. When I get stressed badly my stomach is the first thing to start hurting! You also need to make sure that you're eating well, so paying attention to an acid reflux diet and avoid foods that will flare up gastritis is reccommende.