PDA

View Full Version : Fear of not being able to deal with symptoms?

AnxiousPansa
02-02-14, 21:02
Hi everyone
I have quiet a lot of symptoms but now I dont really know how to word this its not so much a fear of the symptoms but of not being able to handle them? So with things im aware of like breathing and swallowing its not so much a fear of finding it hard to breathe or swallow but a fear of my reaction? for example a fear of not being able to handle anxiety over swallowing and choking? Its weird because i can generally handle the stuff but I have the fear of not being able too and that niggly thought in my head going yeah but what IF you didnt handle it right now? Does anyone else get this? Thanks

phil6
02-02-14, 21:29
I think I know what you are getting at. Most anxiety boils down to a fear of feeling fear. We all dislike the feelings anxiety brings but we all have a nagging doubt that they may become so severe that we will lose control of ourselves. This is usually about the "what if" thoughts like what if the anxiety makes me act in a way that will cause me deep embarrassment etc.
The thing is we may not have total control over the thoughts we think or the sensations we feel, they come whether we like it or not, but we do have control over how we behave. We might find it difficult to believe this but anxiety cannot make us behave in any particular way. It cannot actually force us to do anything. We alwYs are in control of this, but I agree it doesn't always feel like it.

Kelly326
03-02-14, 03:55
I know what u mean. That is a huge fear of mine...what if I get so anxious and cn't handle it or what if I'm depressed and can't handle it and I do something drastic!