PDA

View Full Version : I'm really scared

girl92
02-02-14, 22:56
start a new job tomorrow. Its a care assistant job I've never done it before but I really wanted it just so I can help other. I'm terrified though! What if I can't do it. What if the staff dont like me. What if I do something to embarrass myself. This should be a happy time and I just feel awful and afraid. I was sick before because I'm so anxious. I hate new things I like routine anything that's new just makes my anxiety unbearable

nomorepanic
02-02-14, 23:00
You will be fine

Good luck

shakey1961
03-02-14, 04:42
I know this may sound harsh, but why did you go for that job if you're going to be so anxious?

However... most people will be anxious when they start a new job.

"What if I can't do it?" If the job has been advertised as "No experience required," then they're not going to leave you on your own. You'll be shown what to do.

"What if the staff don't like me?" You got through the interview, so you gave a good impression there, so someone likes you. What if you don't like some of the staff already there?

"What if I do something to embarrass myself?" I think the first few days and weeks you'll be so on your guard that you'll not do anything to embarrass yourself. Or are you going to stand in the staff room and wave your underwear around? Erm... NO!

I don't know what type of home you're going to be working in, whether a care or nursing home, but when you get there, look at the residents who need your help. You'll soon stop worrying about yourself.

You're not the first person to be anxious before they start a new job and you won't be the last.

Just get started and you'll relax. There's usually someone who will take a liking to you and will take you under their wing.

girl92
03-02-14, 19:16
I took the job because I want to help people. I know what it how it feels to feel utterly helpless because my anxiety makes me feel this way often. So I figured working with elderly people would be a job suited to me. I think it will make me happy to help other feel more comfortable and happy within themselves. I know it will be a very rewarding job.

my first day went okay, my nerves rattled me at first but I think after a few weeks I will be okay.

I've avoided work for so long because I'm afraid but I needed to face my fears and start living my life. I know its not going to be easy but I can't spend the rest of my life in my house hiding from the world.

Oosh
03-02-14, 19:26
Wow. Well done ! :-)

Rennie1989
03-02-14, 21:17
I've worked as a carer in the past and it can be a very challenging job role. Long hours with very physically and emotionally demanding work. Do you have an understanding of what the role is about and what is expected of you?

I found with care work that once you figure out the routine you really do get into the swing of things. As long as you're cooperative and very willing the staff will like you. Care staff like someone who can work well on their own (i.e. feeding and single manning washes) and as well as a team (i.e. double manning washes, and working in harmony and rhythm).

This sounds blunt but embarrassing moments will happen. You'll have all sorts of fluids thrown down you, you'll make silly mistakes from fatigue and the residents may try to trip you over (I've only had that happen to me once, but tripped over a zimmer frame) but it's part of the experience and it becomes a story to laugh at. Every carer has them!

craigj1303
04-02-14, 10:44
I know this may sound harsh, but why did you go for that job if you're going to be so anxious?

Because despite the fact she suffers from anxiety she recognised that she wasn't going to allow that to force her to curl up in a ball in a corner for the rest of her life and had the courage to take it on despite her fear. Which says a lot about her character.

The more you face situations like these the better person you will be for it, well done.