PDA

View Full Version : New meds but dosage is a lot higher?

Dissolved girl
03-02-14, 18:37
Hi there
I have been to the doctors today as my panic attacks have returned. I was on Fluoextine 20mg (for about 3-4 years) and he has now prescribed Sertraline 100mg. He said that the 100mg dosage of Sertraline is more or less equivalent to the Fluoextine 20mg dosage.
Is this right? I couldn't find anything about this on the net

Thank you
Faye

Oosh
03-02-14, 20:48
I was on Prozac 20mg. I believe that's the standard initial dose. That's certainly what I was started on. Found this below. Says initial dose for panic disorder is 25mg and other stuff 50mg.

Usual Adult Dose for Depression
Initial dose: 50 mg orally once a day.
Increase dose by 50 mg increments no more often than weekly.
Maintenance Dose: Can increase once a week, to a maximum of 200 mg once a day.

Usual Adult Dose for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Initial dose: 50 mg orally once a day.
Increase dose by 50 mg increments no more often than weekly.
Maintenance Dose: Can increase once a week, to a maximum of 200 mg once a day.

Usual Adult Dose for Panic Disorder
Initial dose: 25 mg orally once a day, after one week, the dose may be increased to 50 mg once a day. Increase dose by 50 mg increments no more often than weekly.
Maintenance dose: Can increase once a week, to a maximum of 200 mg once a day.

Usual Adult Dose for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Initial dose: 25 mg orally once a day, after one week, the dose may be increased to 50 mg once a day. Increase dose by 50 mg increments no more often than weekly.

Usual Adult Dose for Social Anxiety Disorder

Usual Adult Dose for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
Initial dose: 50 mg orally once a day, either throughout the menstrual cycle or limited to the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle (depending on the clinical judgement of the physician).

Patients not responding to a 50 mg per day dose may benefit from dose increases (at 50 mg increments/menstrual cycle) up to 150 mg per day when dosing daily throughout the menstrual cycle, or 100 mg per day when dosing during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle. If a 100 mg per day dose is established with luteal phase dosing, a 50 mg per day titration step for three days should be utilized at the beginning of each luteal phase dosing period.