PDA

View Full Version : Major PTSD after panic attack/Trauma advice please

ohwell123
03-02-14, 21:55
hi everyone hope your well Im a 30 year old generally healthy male
4 months bk I was involved in a traumatic experience I presumed my time was up and I was trapped my heart rate went through the roof and and my chest muscles contracted like when you get cramp in your calf, I presumed this pain was my heart and it made matters worse Im sure you all know the drill... anyway I was rescued then at hospital I was told Id had a major panic attack due to the situation I was in they ran checks and said Im fine they also checked Liver kidn etc all came back fine

however I feel Ive been cursed and blessed Im happy to be alive but I now have chronic anxiety/ocd you name it its there which you guessed it is bringing on more of these panic attacks daily edgeness and debilitating my life

I get regular hourly twinges and throbbing pains especially in my chest area which sets me off Ive started to do weird things like burp/gulp all the time which ofcourse is causing indigestion etc in the evening and more chest pains

Im grinding my teeth which is causing headaches etc etc weird face feelings so I think OH GOD STROKE

I had another panic attack the other night and thought I cant go on like this so went to hospital the morning after ECG was fine and finger Oxygen thing was 98% nurse was reaussruring said this is all good

HOWEVER LOL my BP was 170/100 its never been this high before about 6 months ago it was 130/85

now this reading has made me worse and freaked me out

My doctor has prescribed me atenolol 50mg it seems to have calmed me a bit and told me to come bk this week for a recheck

Ive got it set in my head everydays my last day and ofcourse it never is

I take it Im overwhelming myself causing these BP readings even though my hr was normal?

any help or advice would be much appreciated as I was only feeling like my old self when I have about 5 pints of beer but of course pay for it the day after

thanks
kris

SarahH
04-02-14, 13:51
Hi Kris,

Welcome to NMP.
I was diagnosed with PTSD in 2001 so I know a little about what you are going through.
Having experienced a trauma only 4 months ago you are now showing classic signs of anxiety/PTSD. My advice to you would be to go back to your GP and explain in detail your symptoms
Also read about PTSD/trauma/anxiety and you will get to understand the physical symptoms you are experiencing....this will help reassure you that you are not going to die!!

You have had ECG/check ups etc so if there was something wrong with yout heart that would have been picked up.

Look into the practice of Mindfulness Meditation it will help to slow your mind and body down.

If all else fails there are lots of Meds that will help and on the forum there is loads of info about different meds.

Take care

Sarah

ohwell123
04-02-14, 14:33
hi Sarah thanks for your reply if im out with friends drinking nearly every "symptom vanishes" amazing isnt it!!?

however i know all to well you pay the day after drinking

i think whats more annoying is how its manipulating itself i get used to one thing and a a new pain/problem pops up keeping me on red alert

ill see how the atenolol goes

ta kris

LeFi_81
04-02-14, 18:02
Hallo Kris,

what you describe is very similar to an experience I had last week. My panic attack ended in high hysterics :scared15: and the days since I feel physically sick.

Today I started psychotherapy. I am in the privileged position of knowing my psychologist through my husband (he has bipolar disorder but under control). What amazed me today is how she reacted to my story. Completely nonchalant. :unsure: Do not get me wrong, she cares and she is empathetic, but her reaction just proved to me that MY LIFE IS NOT OVER.

I suffered the last week with my symptoms and almost gave myself over to strong dosages of Valium, just to feel better for an hour, a minute, a moment! I did not because I opted to go for therapy first even though I knew my days until I get "better" will be much harder. It felt amazing to spill my thoughts, talking about past things, recent things and my therapist really could make sense of it.

I placed my life on a literal hold. I will now try to recover first physically, then in cooperation with my therapist, also mentally. She assumes that this could take several weeks! :weep:

My advice to you will be to see your GP. Establish a relationship. Then go see a therapist.

These are scary times. But there is HOPE at the end of the tunnel.

I hope your medicine helps with your symptoms. Unfortunately I doubt it will take away the panic attacks.

Oh, Sarah's hint to read the information here was also helpful to me.

Good luck! To me, to you to us all.

ohwell123
04-02-14, 20:33
hi yes I agree traumatising isnt it I have a good relationship with my doctor so thats a good thing

a bit of an update I had a health check at sainsburys today as not seeing doctor till nxt week and dont want to get in the ocd scenario of owning my own bp machine

ok so ive been on atenolol 50mg for 5 days my reading at the hospital last week was 170/110

at sainsburys tonight the first reading was 155/105 and the second reading minutes later dropped even more to 145/100 this has took a huge load off my mind as I have no doubt when at home relaxing it drops even more

thanks for the replies
kris