PDA

View Full Version : What is shortness of breath?

RVP
03-02-14, 22:34
Hi, I've asked this question to myself, my dr and google, but never got a definitive answer.
Although, my perception of shortness of breath is gasping for air, but my dr said that's not always the case.
For the past couple of days, and it's happened before on a much larger time period, the lower section of my neck and upper section of chest (just below throat) feel weird. I know that's not the best description but I don't know how to describe it, I guess the best way would be as if I need to cough or clear my throat, and I do end up coughing.
I'm not gasping for air, nor am I breathing any differently, although when it happens I do feel that my exhale is a lot deeper (that could just be the way I react to it)
I've also noticed that this happens in the evening/night whenever it does.

Could someone tell me if this does sound like shortness of breath, I really don't want to google as it will only lead to a other things, and I actually want to enjoy my night :)

suzibandit
03-02-14, 22:43
It's not shortness of breath, it's anxiety, stress whatever you want to call it but not shortness of breath. I do this funny thing where I breathe ok then I think about it and I take a deep breath followed by a cough !!! The more I worry the worse it gets.
Try breathing in for 6 secs....hold for 2 sec....breathe out for 7, it does help xxx

kurtis1990
04-02-14, 09:56
Whenever I think I'm short of breath I count from 1 to 20 as fast as I can. If I don't need. To pause for breath then it reassures me I'm not having breathing difficulty