PDA

View Full Version : ANY TIPS?

Cú Chulainn
04-02-14, 16:26
Has Anyone got any tips on how to avoid using the internet to fuel your fears of having an affiliation.
For the last few weeks I have been addicted to looking up the NHS website and other sites which depresses me.
I don't necessarily need to think i have the affliction, it somehow just depresses me.
Help or advice please

Fishmanpa
04-02-14, 16:32
All browsers have the capability to block websites. Check under the parental controls or advanced privacy settings. Add the websites you want to block.

Positive thoughts

suzibandit
04-02-14, 16:33
Don't do it !! I have severe health anxiety and was putting myself in that wooden box every time I consulted Dr Google. I have taught my self to be very strong and I know how difficult it is to do that. But my one piece of advice is find something else to do, rationalise those thoughts and try hard to stop googling !!!! Xxxxx

chomer86
04-02-14, 17:06
I don't have any tips but I will say I'm right there with you! Damn you Dr Google! I don't why I do it to myself but seems the urge to google my symptoms gets the better of me every time! I like the advice off Suzibandit though! :flowers:

Phuzella
04-02-14, 17:08
Block the sites definitely

Cú Chulainn
04-02-14, 22:22
Thanks Guys

bingjam
04-02-14, 23:01
I want to block google full stop, I guarantee I go on and check symptoms at least 20+ time per day, and they are from the smallest thing like this saliva .... I just think.if I block it though I would have higher anxiety due to not actually knowing anything about what it could be if that makes sense xx

Cú Chulainn
05-02-14, 19:14
I Must admit blocking some health websites as really helped.
Today was the first time I did feel bad looking at some of the conditions.

KLP
05-02-14, 19:45
I started a journal 2 days ago. And the main aim is to tell myself NOT TO GOOGLE, failed yesterday but today I haven't had the urge! Want to to keep it up. Even though I've thought things they I'd like to google...... I haven't.

Addicted to google!!!!!!!! Good luck.

saab
05-02-14, 23:01
The internet has actually given me alot of reassurance about my palpitations, but it is not the place to look up symptoms. I just don't do that because most symptoms can have a huge range of causes and, being as we are, we will only notice the ones which are serious. This is called mental filtering in cbt speak. How many of your symptoms could actually have benign causes? All of them, but you only noticed the causes that scary.