PDA

View Full Version : Cold or Flu making anxiety worse!!

Petesy
04-02-14, 21:37
HI Everyone

The past couple of days I was sneezing uncontrollably, the mucus was clear and just running out my nose like water think I used half a toilet roll that night, and later that night my nose was completely blocked, couldn't breath right at all, lastnight and today my throat is really sore and irritated, got a cough bottle (Benylin) which reads on the back of it contains Ethanol 5% vol equivalentto 5ml of beer and 2ml of wine, I'm Unsure whether too take the medicine as I suffered from alcoholism to control my anxiety from the age of 18 to 26, I've been sober for more than 4yrs now and I don't want to jeopardise my progress, my throat and anxiety is the main thing right now that is the problem, I'm already anxious all the time but this has heightened it, bed bound, throat is really sore, panic attacks.....etc I'm exhausted!!

I don't know what to do........?? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Petesy :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

Sorry I forgot to mention I have this horrible taste in my mouth and it's constantly up my nose too....... Horrible :(

Daisy Sue
05-02-14, 13:07
Hiya Petesy :) I commiserate - am full of cold at the moment too.

I would think ordinarily the alcohol in a medicine like Benylin wouldn't affect anyone in the same way as 'normal' alcohol, but that fact that you've made the connection and it's going to be on your mind would probably have me advising you avoid it..

Try dosing up with paracetamol every 4 hours (that's what I'm doing), sucking Strepsils, and Olbas Oil sprinkled on a dry flannel & held near your nose, especially through the night, is really helpful to unblock the mucus & make you feel lots better. If you're really stuffed up, try a steam inhalation preferably with Olbas Oil.

Sipping lemonade takes away the horrid mucussy taste & feeling in your mouth & throat.

Hope you feels tons better soon!