PDA

View Full Version : terrified but going to try to see doctor today

hangingbasket
06-02-14, 07:16
I'm not going to get past this rib issue without seeing my doctor but I'm too scared of what she's going to say. She told me to come back in a month if the pain was still there and its been two months so I know the next step will be testing of some sort and I'm so scared. I'm guessing she will want a chest xray. I'm terrified it will show bone cancer. I'm not sure what the point of this post is. Other than to say I'm going to face my fears and ring the surgery at half eight. I'm only going if I can see my doctor. Everyone else panics me. So fingers crossed she has a free appointment.

jillyb
06-02-14, 07:40
I'm with you. I'm terrified too and am seeing the doctor today. Mine is a stomach problem and I know I will have to be referred this time. I've been sitting here crying and shaking with fear since 3am with this burning in my stomach. The pills aren't working. I am terrified of hospitals and tests and the diagnosis but I am going to have to face my fears. I don't know how I'm going to do it. I'm having a breakdown over it. Good luck to you x

hangingbasket
06-02-14, 08:14
Good luck with today. I totally get your fear of tests and waiting for results. I'm sat here shaking and pacing with restless energy and I haven't even phoned for an appointment yet.

cut_out_stars
06-02-14, 08:53
I can sympathise with this completely. I'm sending you lots of luck. Have you got a good doctor you trust? I'm sure they will be able to put your mind at ease whatever once you get there :) I haven't read any of your past post but could this be anxiety related pain?

Xo

unsure_about_this
06-02-14, 08:59
Hi

I think it will be wise to get it checked it, if you are worried about it. As you been reading from my entries about my problems and fears. Yes I was afraid from the beginning, I did not enjoy going to the GPs lots of times, hospital trips, scans etc.

I don't know how your GP practice works with an appointments but does you practice lets you book your appointments online to see a GP.

hangingbasket
06-02-14, 10:08
My appointment is in 30 minutes.. I could cry I'm so scared of what she'll say. In the car on the way here the pain bothered me the whole way. Its getting worse.

---------- Post added at 10:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 ----------

She has given me a card to go for blood test and chest xray. Its a 10 day wait for results. I can't do this.

jillyb
06-02-14, 10:26
Hanging basket, I've been. Not been referred for endoscopy but been made to start citalopram which I've just taken. He is sure my stomach is anxiety related but I'm not. So scared of taking meds. I wish you well. X

hangingbasket
06-02-14, 10:40
I've got to have blood tests for bone profile and a chest xray.
She said it seems muscular and is referring me just because its gone on so long.
I asked if she suspects cancer and she said no.
But I'm absolutely terrified.

Andrash
06-02-14, 10:44
I've got to have blood tests for bone profile and a chest xray.
She said it seems muscular and is referring me just because its gone on so long.
I asked if she suspects cancer and she said no. (1)
But I'm absolutely terrified. (2) (

1+2=HA.

Congrats on the good appointment, and after your tests and x-ray show nothing serious (which I'm convinced will be the case), it'll be a good starting point for recovery.

:)

hangingbasket
06-02-14, 11:05
I can't be rational right now. I know this pain isn't imagined. Even she said its unusual for muscular pain to last this long.

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

If I had a tumour on my ribs would the doctor have been able to feel it?

Althea
06-02-14, 18:13
HB, no pain is "imagined." It's all real pain, no matter what the source. While most muscular pain does go away more quickly, there are situations where it can hang around until you learn how to change it, so if your tests rule stuff out you might try a physiotherapist or massage therapist and see what you can find there.

And you know, it's not the end of the world if you do cry because you're frightened. Doctors and lab techs have seen it many times before. It doesn't mean you can't do it.

Andrash
06-02-14, 20:26
I can't be rational right now. I know this pain isn't imagined. Even she said its unusual for muscular pain to last this long.

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

If I had a tumour on my ribs would the doctor have been able to feel it?

However, she also said it was not cancer. :)