PDA

View Full Version : First citalopram SCARED

jillyb
06-02-14, 10:33
I've just taken my first citalopram and I'm so scared. Anyone help me please. I am very pill phobic anyway. Been to docs again re my stomach problem which I am sure isn't anxiety but he does. So frightened of everything. Frightened I am going to have a bad reaction to these pills and die.

cut_out_stars
06-02-14, 10:43
Hi jillyb,

I can completely understand your pill fear. I'm scared of taking them (scared of choking on them) and scared of a bad reaction as well so I know how you're feeling. But the dr wouldn't prescribe something that wasn't safe, the pills wouldn't even be available. Chances of a bad reaction are so so so so slim.

While it's good to be aware of what's in your meds and how it MIGHT effect you, try not to concentrate on those "serious side effects" in the leaflet. At least that's what I do.. The other week I was TERRIFIED to take a Rennie.. All because I'd never taken one before. The other day I was scared to take a multivitamin for the first time.

In the long run these could really help you so think of it as a positive step, you'll be fine :)

illgetthere
06-02-14, 10:47
WELL DONE on taking the first step in taking your medication I'm also pill phobic and won't take anything I get scared after I've taken a tablet that it's in my system and I can't get it out once I swallow it. I took the same pill you did for 3 days that's all I could manage I've been given all different pills and there all still in my cupboard even thou I feel like I need them I won't do it I also have stomach problems your digestive system is the first thing to be hit when your anxious I won't say calm down because I no you can't just ride with your feelings your ok feel free to message me x

Xanderboo
06-02-14, 10:58
Jilly B - I think you are brave for taking this step. I'm going to be following your example over weekend if I can pluck up the courage too, same digestive issues causing great concern. All I can suggest for you for today is that you have someone with you to hold your hand, so to speak. Good luck and i'm sure you'll be fine. Feel free to message me if u want to. Xxx

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

Jillyb - well done on being brave enough to take the meds. I can identify 100%, same issues, same fears of serious illness and of the medication. Just wanted to say good luck, im sure you'll be ok - do you have anyone around to hold your hand today, so to speak? Might reassure you a little? Good luck, keep us posted. Pm me if you want to. Xx

SadKev
06-02-14, 15:53
Jillyb, firstly well done for having the courage to take the medication - that is a very brave step. If you don`t mind me asking, what dose of Citalopram are you taking? If it is 10mg as I started on three months ago, the chances are that you will experience few or no side effects. When I started taking 10mg, I had a small amount of increased anxiety and nausea for a couple of days but it was hardly anything and soon passed. Good luck, I`m sure you will be fine.:)

ray52
06-02-14, 16:39
Hi Jillyb
I take citalopram 40mg, I have done for four months and it can cause side effects with some people for a spell while your body adjusts to it but not everyone gets this. The benefits in the long term are good though it can lift you up and make life a bit easier to cope with. Well done for having the courage to start down this path. There are quite a few people on the forum who take these so your never alone. :)

Marty_67
06-02-14, 18:23
Hi Jillyb
I take citalopram 40mg, I have done for four months and it can cause side effects with some people for a spell while your body adjusts to it but not everyone gets this. The benefits in the long term are good though it can lift you up and make life a bit easier to cope with. Well done for having the courage to start down this path. There are quite a few people on the forum who take these so your never alone. :)

Hi Ray, how are you feeling after 4 months? I am 2 months in on 40mg.

jillyb
06-02-14, 18:56
I am on 10mg for one week then 20 from week 2. All I have done is cry today as I am so frightened. Partly because I am scared if the meds and partly because I am so frightened about my stomach, which is causing awful burning, nausea and now heartburn, despite being on ppi's. I can't believe it's just anxiety that is causing it and am worried the doctor is just putting everything down to my chronic anxiety. He has also told me to take diazepam too. Thank you all for replying, I really appreciate it. Don't know what I'd do without this site and the lovely understanding people on it. X

SadKev
06-02-14, 19:18
Hi jillyb,

I started on 10mg a day too and then went up to 20mg a day after seven days and I can honestly say that I had few if any negative side effects so I`m pretty confident on the citalopram front at least, you will be fine. The diazepam will definitely help with the anxiety in the shorter term but it may take a a day or two to kick in. The stomach symptoms that you describe sound pretty extreme to be purely down to anxiety. Maybe leave it for a day or two and if they don`t get any better, perhaps it would be an idea to go back to the GP and get a second opinion. I`m sorry that you`ve had such a traumatic day. If you want to talk at all or vent, you are more than welcome to talk to me via this thread or by private message.:)

Take Care,
Kevin x

T101
09-02-14, 01:41
I am on 10mg for one week then 20 from week 2. All I have done is cry today as I am so frightened. Partly because I am scared if the meds and partly because I am so frightened about my stomach, which is causing awful burning, nausea and now heartburn, despite being on ppi's. I can't believe it's just anxiety that is causing it and am worried the doctor is just putting everything down to my chronic anxiety. He has also told me to take diazepam too. Thank you all for replying, I really appreciate it. Don't know what I'd do without this site and the lovely understanding people on it. X

My heart goes out to you, i'm sending u a virtual hug, you are not alone on here :hugs:
I hear what u say about your stomach and i just want to say, as some reassurance, from someone who has suffered bad panic attacks daily and terrible anxiety that the adrenaline is toxic in high doses and does genuinely make our tummies feel sick, painful, burning sensations etc. THe heartburn is just a reflex of the tummy coping with making too much acid during anxiety...that's the horrible thing about what we all experience, one physical reaction leads to another. It is all very normal, your body is being normal by responding to the brain saying "red alert" - mostly for no darn good reason (or so it feels). But it is normal to feel sick and most people on here will have experienced the same sick feelings.
I dont mind swallowing tablets but i am against taking them, especially when they are designed to alter brain chemicals - that terrifies me. That said, i took citalopram for 2 years! I think my anxiety was so bad i just decided "what have i got to lose, things are desperate with constant anxiety so here goes....".
They take over 2 weeks to kick in, and during that initial period i did suffer side effects. I'm sharing my experience with u to help reassure u and to be honest so u dont freak so much. The side effects were: i came out in hives all over my body, i was hot and itchy and i also experienced not dizziness but the sensation of having been very lightly pushed (if that makes sense?). I dont mean i felt hands on me, i mean imagne someone lightly pushed u from behind, not enough of a push to make u put a foot out to balance yourself, if u imagine the slight 'forward/back' sensation in your head, that's exaclty what i experienced on and off during the day. Once the tablets kicked in, all that disappeared and i was back to normal. Follow your doctors advise on dosage at all times. He will monitor progress so u will be looked after and have nothing to fear. Not everyone gets side effects and mine were not that bad but at the time it was unsettling and made me scared.
As for your crying, good for you, crying is a GREAT release so just u go ahead and let it out but don't forget to tell yourself that your upset, painful tummy is a very normal physical reaction to anxiety and that what you are experiencing, though frightening and unpleasant, is in fact very normal. Your body is simply doing its physical job as it was designed to do when your brain tells it to "get ready to run from an anxious situation". So you have nothing to be over concerned about with your tummy, it really is an unfortunate, yet very normal, 'side-effect' of anxiety.