PDA

View Full Version : Dog attack

Icequeen
06-02-14, 15:56
So i wanted to share this, because its lying on my shoulders quite heavy and with my current mantal state not the best, i figure i'll take on the good old saying of a problem shared is a problem halved...

I used to have 3 dogs... a black labrador male, a greyhoud female and a jack russell cross border collie female...

3 weeks ago, my husband and i were awoken to the most awful of screams... it sounded like, if not a human, then a cat being attacked... i grabbed my dressing gown and ran straight out to the patio where the noise was coming from... although as i got to the front room it had alreadt stopped...

as i got outside, my greyhound had got my terrier by the throat, on her back, and was ragging her on the ground... the screaming was from my terrier who was at the point of beign strangled and hence why she had stopped... i pounced on the greyhound and pulled her jaw opem, my terrier ran to the bedroom to my husband... greyhound was panting, her heart was racing and she was in a red mist of something, i shut her in the kitchen.

in the bedroom, my hubby had our terrier on the bed, as she moved we noticed her throat ripped open... 330am we rushed her to the vet...

24 hours in the vets later, £500 bill and loads of stitches in more than one laceration wound... she was home...

But not before i had got rid of hte greyhound... the RGT (Retuired greyhound trust) thankfully agreed to take her in, knowing what had happened, but it saved her having to be euthanised ...

3 weeks on, my terrier has the nickname "Franken Hound" but is healed, physically, really well all considered... mentally she is changed, but thats to be expected and i am sure se will only get better...

i'm mentally wounded, seeing what i saw, dealing with the aftermath, the stress, worry, expense... the constant reminder when i look at my terrier, or get the questions when out walking "Where's your other dog?"...

ok thats that, thats what happened and where we're at....

*phew*

sorry guys, kinda needed to vent that out my head a bit...

xxx

TooMuchToLiveFor
06-02-14, 16:01
Oh, Icequeen, how traumatic!

Time will help heal both you and your sweet "Franken-hound."

Well done on finding a good alternative for your greyhound. :hugs:

Annie0904
06-02-14, 16:33
Oh how distressing for you :( I saw a very traumatic event and when I had flash backs I was taught to change them to black and white which is less traumatic than seeing it in colour. That worked for a while but I was still traumatised by it. After intense psychology I was taught to change the story so that it had a different ending. I guess this is harder for you as you can see the Terriers injuries. The positives though are that you were able to save your little terrier and the greyhound has been re homed.Try the suggestions I have given you and see if they help it seem less traumatic than it was.

Icequeen
07-02-14, 13:52
this pic was the little FrankenHound a week after the ordeal, my mum bought her this little coat to wear to cover up her injuries (The on on her back is as big as ht one you can see there on her neck) but i rolled the nexk down for her whilst we were sat in the car,as the sun was beaming!

it was very traumatic, seeing my greyhound on her like that...

thansk for the advice, the black and white thing seems to make sense and i will try that for a time and see if that fades it out...

:bighug1:xx