PDA

View Full Version : Please help, really scared tonight!!!!!!

Betterhealth
07-02-14, 04:59
Hello everyone,

So, big story short. For the past 2 days I have been wearing an event monitor. So tonight, after I recorded by itself at points I decided to call the company and ask them what it records. So they told me that it only records tachycardia, brachycardia, afib and pauses greater than 3 seconds a time.

I did not feel anything of that tonight, except the pauses. As soon as I realized that I got very scared. I searched online and they say that when that happens the only solution is a pacemaker. I am only 26 years old and I need a pacemaker?

They also told me that if the doctor had requested also something else, he could have added it in, but they cannot give me that info, trying to tell me that if it was something life threatening someone would have called me. They also advised me to call my cardio tomorrow if I want more info.

I am so scared and freaking out really bad, I can still not imagine that I might need a pacemaker at 26 years of age...

Any knowledge or advice would be greatly appreciated..

Andrash
07-02-14, 07:49
Hello everyone,

So, big story short. For the past 2 days I have been wearing an event monitor. So tonight, after I recorded by itself at points I decided to call the company and ask them what it records. So they told me that it only records tachycardia, brachycardia, afib and pauses greater than 3 seconds a time.

I did not feel anything of that tonight, except the pauses. As soon as I realized that I got very scared. I searched online and they say that when that happens the only solution is a pacemaker. I am only 26 years old and I need a pacemaker?

They also told me that if the doctor had requested also something else, he could have added it in, but they cannot give me that info, trying to tell me that if it was something life threatening someone would have called me. They also advised me to call my cardio tomorrow if I want more info.

I am so scared and freaking out really bad, I can still not imagine that I might need a pacemaker at 26 years of age...

Any knowledge or advice would be greatly appreciated..

Just search this forum and you'll see how many people complain of palpitations, pauses and skipped beats. These are caused by stress and/or anxiety. I am not a doctor, but I will be willing to bet a grand that your doctor will tell you the same, and that you don't need the pacemaker. Don't google-things there are quackery, speculations, diagnosing by guess and plain lies. You're not the only one that got driven crazy by Google-almost all of us experienced that, myself included. Just relax, be active, try to get the heart out of your mind and trust your doctors. :)

Betterhealth
07-02-14, 20:58
First of all I want to thank you all for your responces. I really appreciate the help!
So, after a long day trying to figure out all the symptoms and why the device is recording, I finally found a lady at the doctor's office that told me that they did not record any pauses or anything like that last night...
So, I decided to call the cardionet company frustrated and what did they tell me this time? That the monitor does not only record those 4 conditions, but any change in the heart rythm. Which means that even if it was a PVC or PAC or anything in regards to the heart, it will record it. I am not sure if that lady knows what she is talking about, but that would at least make a lot more sence to me if that's the case.
I can say that I am relieved, but also frustrated that all those days that I am calling, no one explained anything like that to me....

saab
07-02-14, 21:17
I am sure it is correct that it records any cardiac 'event', big or minor. Remember our heart beats 100,000 times a day and variation in heart speed and rhythm is normal activity. It would be near impossible for it to beat absolutely regularly 100% of the time. It will be affected by eating, sleeping, movement, caffeine, smoking, alcohol, stomach activity, stress. Getting out of a chair will affect heart rate in most people.

Also remember that pacs and pvcs are normal heart activity - when they have done random ecgs on people, studies have found up to 40% of those tested have shown pvcs. In a structurally normal heart they are nearly always considered as benign. I have thousands a day and my docs are not concerned. Pvcs and change in heart rhythm are common and normal findings on a heart monitor.