PDA

View Full Version : Feel very,very stupid

kate
21-11-06, 11:38
I got out of my car at work today and started to have the flashy lights thing which I used to get in my teens when a migraine was iminent.

I walked up to work from the car park and was panicking and hyperventilating due to my vision being affected.

I got into work and my boss sat with me, hugging me, while I kept apologising and saying I thought I was dying cos I felt as though I was floating away.

The flashing lights stopped after about 15 minuted but the full blown panic lasted for about half an hour [:I].

I phoned Mark and he came and picked me up as there was no way I could have driven. I'm now at home with a throbbing head and feeling sooooooo stupied. I must have looked a right prat at work [:O]

I don't know whether it was stress, hormones or what that brought it on. We accepted an offer on the house last night and I am dead excited about it so don't know if this contributed.

Just wanted to put it all down on paper so to speak cos I really feel like I made a fool of myself :(

Kate x

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

strawberrie
21-11-06, 12:14
hi kate, you dont need to feel stupid at all - so what if you had a panic attack at work? No-one will think any worse of you.

If you see someone show some sort of vulnerability, do you think they're stupid? No, because we're all just human and we all have moments when we wish the ground would swallow us up. Sounds like your boss is understanding, im sure every one else will just be concerned that you're ok.

sounds like your under pressure at the moment, anything to do with buying / selling houses is bound to bring on stress - my husband once told our estate agent that i would have a nervous breakdown if our sale didnt go through!!![:I][:I][:I][^]

mag xxx

Piglet
21-11-06, 12:59
You did not make a fool of yourself!!!!

We are sooooo hard on ourselves arn't we - like mag says you would never think any less of someonelse if they showed a degree of vulnerability would you! [No]!

Personally I think it was doin so well in the quiz that did it [}:)][}:)]:D:D

<center>((((K))))</center>

Love Piglet xx

clickaway
21-11-06, 13:20
Hey Kate, how you reacted was perfectly natural and not stupid at all. It's as stupid as having a cold really!

I'm sure it was the excitement of the house offer that brought it on.

Now chill [8D]

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Lindalou64
21-11-06, 14:36
HI KATE I UNDERSTAND WHAT YA SAYING BUT NEVER FEEL STUPID AND IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE BEEN UNDER ALOT OF STRESS SELLING A HOUSE AND MOVING SURE THAT CAN ADD TO THE FUEL YOUR GONNA BE OK.......TAKE CARE WISH YA THE BEST.......LINDA[8D]

trac67
21-11-06, 15:04
Hi Matey,

Just wanted to send you a ((((HUG)))) and to tell your boss at work was probably too concerned as to how you are feeling to even consider thinking you were stupid.

Lots of Love

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Quirky
21-11-06, 15:29
(((((Kate)))))

Hi Kate,

You are not stupid at all mate. I've had loads of panic attacks at work, mostly no one notices and I don't say much but I have had to call the work nurse to me a few times in the past when I've felt particularly odd and needed to go home. As everyone says, no one will judge you for having a PA and your boss sounds so caring and lovely.

Great news about the house, how exciting. It's quite possible the house sale contributed to how you were feeling, remember excitement feels much like panic too.

I hope you are feeling alot better this afternoon.

Now no more talk of being a fool ok as you are definitely not.

Take care,

Love Lisa x

pips
21-11-06, 15:45
Hi Kate,

Please don't feel stupid hun. Sometimes it's just a build up of things and weird stuff happens to our bodies i.e strange symptoms etc...

Congratulations on the house mate. That's GREAT.

Take Care,

Love Pip's X X X X

Pippa.

kate
21-11-06, 21:13
Thanks everyone for your supportive replies. I knew you lot would understand!

I think that sometimes I just spend so much time at work pretending everything is fine, I'm happy, nothings bothering me etc, and I hate soooooo much anyone knowing when things get really bad ie panic attacks.

I exhaust myself covering up how I feel, especially at work and being the centre of attention today sent me into a right tizzy [:I] I just so much hate the spotlight being on me especially when it involves having to explain that it's a full blown panic attack. I can't remember the last time I had such a bad one.

I've still got a bit of a headache and my legs seem a bit shaky. I also feel incredibly drained. I'm having tomorrow off as well and will see how it goes I suppose [Sigh...]

Thanks again everyone :D

Kate x

Quirky
21-11-06, 22:27
Hi Kate,

It sounds like you're doing a bit better although these things do leave us drained and shaky I know.

I think sometimes trying to cover things up so others don't notice is enough in itself to make people feel anxious. It seems a commom problem that many people almost feel ashamed to admit they suffer panic attacks. I really think half the battle is just being relaxed and open about it. Ok easy for me to say maybe but it really helps.
I've had many panic attacks at work, often I just ignore them and carry on and no one is any the wiser as it passes but if it's bad people often say to me "are you ok" and I reply "yes it's just a bad panic attack". I feel so relaxed about telling people that I really don't care who knows and I think that helps. I'm not saying tell everyone you meet but if it arises don't be ashamed of it. It's an illness/disorder like any other. Having an asthma attack is nothing to be ashamed of and neither is a panic attack for example. You wouldn't judge anyone having one and people won't judge you. If anything once you start telling people you'll be amazed how many people also have them. The fact you get out and go to work each day and deal with this shows how amazing you are to cope with this. In my book this gives you more credit as a person not less :). The worst thing that could happen is that someone one day may not totaly understand what panic is but does it really matter what they think, that same person themselves may have an attack one day - they can happen to anyone at all. Try and be proud to be you, because you are great even with the odd panic attack :D

Anyway sorry to babble on your post.

Take care and I hope you feel better tomorrow,

Hugs,

Lisa x

Piglet
21-11-06, 23:05
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
and I hate soooooo much anyone knowing when things get really bad ie panic attacks.

I exhaust myself covering up how I feel, especially at work and being the centre of attention today sent me into a right tizzy [:I] I just so much hate the spotlight being on me especially when it involves having to explain that it's a full blown panic attack.

Kate x

<div align="right">Originally posted by kate - 21 November 2006 : 21:13:45</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

This is me too hun - Lis is sooooo right though and I am sure if could stop automatically trying to hide my panic it wouldn't be half so bad.

Love Piglet xx

Sue K with 5
21-11-06, 23:13
Hi Kate !

Im so sorry this had such an impact on you today. I think you coped so well your reaction is one so many of us go through,

((((((((((hugs))))))))) and dont let this hold you back im impressed you manage to go to work every day I think you do great

tc

xxxxxxx

scknight

alexis
22-11-06, 00:23
Hi Kate, hoping youa re OK, xxxxx

Alexis
xx

lainey
22-11-06, 08:34
Hi Kate

Hope you are feeling better today chuck.

I think selling a house is one of the most stressful things we can do, so you didn't make a fool of yourself!

Try and chill out today and have a me day,

Take care

Elaine x

kate
23-11-06, 09:10
Thanks everyone again for your replies.

I haven't gone back to work yet [:I][:I]. I'm feeling so scared that it will happen again. I know, avoidance doesn't solve anything, I've got to just get back out there and get on with it.

Mark took me up to Asda yesterday afternoon when he got home from work. I had to cling onto him all the way round I was panicking so much :(. I've been able to go the the supermarket on my own for a couple of years now and haven't had any real panic feelings in there for ages.

I will have to bite the bullet and go back to work tomorrow. I have to get over this, and quickly.

Kate x

Piglet
23-11-06, 09:36
You can do it hun ((((K))))

Love Piglet :)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Quirky
23-11-06, 11:49
(((((Kate)))))

Good luck for tomorrow, you CAN do it. You're right just get it over with, otherwise the longer you leave it the harder it will get to go back. You will be ok, tell yourself it won't happen again to break the association.

Love Lisa x

Quirky
24-11-06, 11:51
Hope you got to work today Kate and that it's going well.

Love Lisa x

mirry
24-11-06, 12:10
hi kate, Ive been just like that before, once cried in a shop and the staff took me round the back to calm me down [:I]

I did go back to the same shop, over and over again.
You will go back to work and everything will go back to normal,
Hope you got a good price for the house (maybe thats what excited you ?)

mirryx

kate
24-11-06, 16:19
Well, I did it LOL, went back to work!

I was soooooo anxious, it was mad [:I] Kept worrying that I'd have the funny vision thing again. Kept feeling like my head was going to drop off and that I felt all tingly, worried I'd actually had a stroke [:O] Blimey, so dramatic huh?

Anyway, everyone was asking if I was better etc, and I soon felt a bit calmer.

Really glad I went back on a Friday cos I've got the weekend to get over it all now!

Mirry, we had 2 offers on the same day. One slightly lower than the asking price and one for the asking price! Guess which one we went with????

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's understanding support.

Kate x

Quirky
24-11-06, 16:21
Well done Kate :D:D:D
Knew you could do it. Now have a nice relaxing weekend if you can.

Love Lisa x

Piglet
24-11-06, 16:42
Brilliant - well done for getting back on the horse!!

You on for round 2 of the quiz night now?? :D:D:D

Love Piglet xx

kate
24-11-06, 16:43
Thanks Lisa and Piglet!

Piglet, when's the next quiz??

Kate x

Piglet
24-11-06, 17:28
Tomorrow night hun - I think it maybe a little later than last time, there was talk of 10pm so people could watch x factor or something. Sax has done a post somewhere.

I'm goin to remember not to wear mittens this time ;)

Piglet x

kate
24-11-06, 18:01
Oooohhhh must have missed the post!

I'll be there as long as I can wrestle Son off the computer ;)

Good idea to ditch the mittens as well, as long as I'm going to be on your team again :D

Kate x

Piglet
24-11-06, 21:17
Naturally hun - I've got the pringles and the Irn Bru ready and waiting :D:D:D

Piglet