PDA

View Full Version : Depersonalisation

claire_2910
07-02-14, 13:34
Hello

I am suffering with depersonalisation... I am looking for people who are suffering this too to maybe chat via text/skype and maybe we can help each other? I am based in manchester so would be nice to have a few people who I can meet up with and maybe tackle it together! I can meet up anywhere around lancashire :)

ANY TIPS/CURES a major advantage! xx

Cú Chulainn
07-02-14, 18:07
Hi Claire,
I suffered from depersonalisation/derealisation for about 6 months continuously after a severe panic attack that kicked off this anxiety.
Its been greatly improved over the last 2 months or so since being on the meds and doing CBT.
My CBT therapist says not to be worried about it all as once you begin to deal with the anxiety it will lessen and then dissapear.
Hopefully this helps.
You can PM if you need to discuss anything.

PanchoGoz
07-02-14, 19:45
Tip: Smile and pretend it's not there.
Depsersonalisaion is a very natural thing your body does to protect you, and when you focus on it, you are telling your mind there is something wrong so it depersonalises you more. If you did everything in a relaxed manner and didn't try to fix it, didn't do any focusing on your mental state or symptoms, it would die down or go. If you are searching for a solution, your anxiety system is keeping you on high alert. Stop searching for help for depersonalisation, fight or flight goes to "off" position. There's nothing that really helps it except showing your body everything is safe by really focusing your senses on the real world and don't let yourself focus inward too much. When you focus inward a lot, it can seem a bit of a "shock" when you come back to the outside world, another cause for this feeling. Stay focussed on the present. Practising Mindfulness is very hepful with this.

jill
07-02-14, 21:13
Hi hun :D

Try this link... GREAT reading. :yesyes:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41005&highlight=Depersonalisation

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XX

ohwell123
09-02-14, 17:13
hi suffer from this and rumination and it kicks in big style when im with my daughter its totally debilitated my life to be honest even though I Know not to acknowledge my anxiety mine will just give me a new symptom its like that green monster that clings to him on that advert lol

wilsano
10-02-14, 20:48
What is depersonalisation ?

PanchoGoz
10-02-14, 21:36
Wilsano
(Copied from NMP symptoms column)

Depersonalization, Derealization, Feeling of unreality

What you feel:

Now for the Brain , the limbic system in the brain instigates this whole response and is responsible too for our emotions and behaviour One of the body symptoms that people hate most is the one when you feel all foggy, surreal, woozy or spacey. You may either feel that you are not real or that the earth is not real and you're a time warp away. These are often the hardest symptoms to understand and its very common to deduce that you must be going mad which makes you panic even more. This is completely untrue and you are very safe.
You feel like you are not a part of what is going on, or that you feel like you are in a dream state or 'out of touch with things'. Also, things around you may seem like they are shimmering, foggy, hazy or too bright.
What causes this:

As we learned in Understanding, the body and mind are tightly integrated. What affects one affects the other. This symptom is another example of how an over stimulated nervous system can cause us to experience odd and impaired feelings, emotions and perceptions. Much like how a psychoactive or recreational drug can alter one's mental state, an over active nervous system can affect certain body chemistries thereby producing mind altering effects. The feeling of unreality or disassociation is one type of altered mental state that high levels of stress biology can produce.
It is not completely understood what goes here but it is generally thought that the limbic system in the brain decides there is too much going on and goes into a self protection mode and shuts out excess stimuli. As the adrenaline levels decrease and you calm down it clears. This can be several hours days or weeks.

Col
11-02-14, 11:54
Tip: Smile and pretend it's not there.
Depsersonalisaion is a very natural thing your body does to protect you, and when you focus on it, you are telling your mind there is something wrong so it depersonalises you more. If you did everything in a relaxed manner and didn't try to fix it, didn't do any focusing on your mental state or symptoms, it would die down or go. If you are searching for a solution, your anxiety system is keeping you on high alert. Stop searching for help for depersonalisation, fight or flight goes to "off" position. There's nothing that really helps it except showing your body everything is safe by really focusing your senses on the real world and don't let yourself focus inward too much. When you focus inward a lot, it can seem a bit of a "shock" when you come back to the outside world, another cause for this feeling. Stay focussed on the present. Practising Mindfulness is very hepful with this.

Your tip made me giggle - your so damn right :roflmao: