PDA

View Full Version : Steering Our Thoughts…...

TooMuchToLiveFor
07-02-14, 14:11
When it comes to steering our thoughts…..

We wouldn't steer our car for a limited amount of time and then think that we can let go of the wheel and still get to our desired destination. In fact, exactly the opposite. We let go of the wheel and we will inevitably crash before too long.

It is the same with our thoughts. We are in charge of them. We can steer them where we want to go. But, we can't expect just because we have stayed attentive to steering them for awhile that we can just let them go and they will stay on course.

My negative thought pattern right now tends to be obsessing and being consumed with "how I feel." Noticing the physical anxiety symptoms. Letting them bum me out. Noticing I feel anxious. Letting it irritate me. Noticing the mud puddles of depression I seem to have fallen down in, and then just sitting in them instead of getting up and out of them as quickly as I can.

Today I am steering my thoughts. The WHOLE day.

I don't let my physical symptoms stop me from doing anything physically- now I need to stop them from consuming me mentally.

I don't let my anxiety take over my life- but I need to kick it out of my thoughts. So it's there- so what?

I won't let depression become a way of life for me. We all have down moments, but this is different and I can tell. I will not sit in the mud puddle.

Gratitude. Constant gratitude will keep one hand on the steering wheel of my thoughts, and being others-centered instead of self-centered will keep the other.

Mindfulness- feeling and embracing each moment God has given me today will keep my eyes focused on the road directly in front of me, and Perspective will help me navigate the road ahead as I move forward remembering where I have been.

And- where are we going? Well, the Land of Recovery, of course!

Would you like to go with me?

Seeking Freedom
07-02-14, 14:27
I'll come with you! :yesyes: I like this post. I feel like I can definitely relate to it today anyway! I've been doing well with my anxiety for the past few months. So well that I thought I didn't need to do my meditation, mindfulness, gratitude diary etc... This morning I felt really anxious again and had the racing thoughts. I realised, I need to continue the routine I worked so hard on getting setup before. Just because it helped, doesn't mean I need to stop.

Starting this week, I'm going to continue to steer my thoughts in a positive way again and get back into the good routine that helped me before.

So you'd got at least one person on the journey with you :D

WhyWhyWhy
07-02-14, 14:47
I'll come :)

This makes so much sense to me. I create my thoughts, I need to control them

There is a little part of me that doesn't want to lose all this anxiety because it's keeping me prepared for the worst for when it does happen. Messed up eh?
That's what I need to correct x

LunaLiuna
07-02-14, 14:48
I'll join you guys! :D

I can 100% relate to gratitude, and keeping my attention centred around other people. it's become the fuel for my ever increasing positivity. Although my perspective wanders, being mindful and in the now brings it back to the truth. which is that anything outside of this moment is not needed :)

You should write books, your posts are always so imaginative and full a hope.

The land of recovery sounds good, although we may end up needing a bus :)

MarkUk
07-02-14, 15:45
I was going to get a Train but someone else would be driving, so I am taking my own car & will follow you, if I take a wrong turn give me a toot so I can get back on the right route ;)

TooMuchToLiveFor
17-02-14, 23:04
SeekingFreedom, WhyWW, my buddy Luna, and MarkUK,

How's the journey going? :)

LunaLiuna
17-02-14, 23:35
Oh it's going good thank you! I'm just enjoying the scenery and the occasional rain as it trickles down the window. It's nice because it cleans the window and allows me to see better :)

How are you TooMuch?

Tanner40
18-02-14, 00:18
Too Much, great post as always. Why is it that we always think that we can let go of the wheel, and still get to where we want to go. I know I'm definitely on this journey with you all, even if my hands keep,slipping off the wheel. Seems as if my foot gets stuck on the brake now and then too, but I'm going to be extra careful to keep an even speed.

Ingenious
19-02-14, 01:19
Yes what a good post TooMuchToLiveFor. I'm right with you on the mindfulness and gratitude. The mindfulness was a life saver for me and changed my life around - I came off all medication within a year of starting mindful meditation. It really helped to show where my thought processes were going wrong and how I can - with gentle but persistent practice - fix it. And the gratitude is the icing on the cake that keeps life that bit sweeter.

MarkUk
19-02-14, 09:53
Was in cruise control yesturday which was nice but have woken up today & can't switch cruise on again :weep:.

Sure it will come on again later in the day :)

MrAndy
19-02-14, 10:17
When it comes to steering our thoughts…..

My negative thought pattern right now tends to be obsessing and being consumed with "how I feel." Noticing the physical anxiety symptoms. Letting them bum me out. Noticing I feel anxious. Letting it irritate me. Noticing the mud puddles of depression I seem to have fallen down in, and then just sitting in them instead of getting up and out of them as quickly as I can.
good post TMT ,the above is what consumes my daily thought pattern ,im always obsessing about anxiety ,I really need to work on this now.I thought about leaving this site because of it as it reminds me more and more about anxiety and depression.

WhyWhyWhy
19-02-14, 10:31
Yesterday for me was a good day. Today is hard hard hard and I can't shift this heavy feeling in my chest. Filled with dread and feeling really uneasy. Fighting off tears because I know when they come they aren't going to stop. So sorry for the negativity xx

MarkUk
19-02-14, 10:54
What rely gets me is like you I had a good day yesterday & I think could this be the end in sight then Bam today I feel s**t.

Cruel isn't it

WhyWhyWhy
19-02-14, 10:59
What rely gets me is like you I had a good day yesterday & I think could this be the end in sight then Bam today I feel s**t.

Cruel isn't it

Yes yes and yes. I had a pretty hard morning year day then by lunchtime I was feeling ok, by evening I was feeling like my myself. I just felt OK. It was bliss. I've woken today and BAM, on waking without even thinking about it I feel full of dread, panic, impending doom. My chest feels heavy, I feel like I'm on the brink of a panic attack.

The postman knocked earlier- do you know what I thought, omg I bet he's delivering a recorded delivery letter and it's bad news, it's from the hospital or doctors telling me they'll need to see me, I'm never going to cope with the unknown and the panic. - He knocked to see if I knew who's dog had been following him on his round. So so so sorry for this negativity n this post xx

MarkUk
19-02-14, 11:23
Yes yes and yes. I had a pretty hard morning year day then by lunchtime I was feeling ok, by evening I was feeling like my myself. I just felt OK. It was bliss. I've woken today and BAM, on waking without even thinking about it I feel full of dread, panic, impending doom. My chest feels heavy, I feel like I'm on the brink of a panic attack.

The postman knocked earlier- do you know what I thought, omg I bet he's delivering a recorded delivery letter and it's bad news, it's from the hospital or doctors telling me they'll need to see me, I'm never going to cope with the unknown and the panic. - He knocked to see if I knew who's dog had been following him on his round. So so so sorry for this negativity n this post xx

This post is helping me as I also panic each time I get a letter thinking its the Dr's with bad news etc.

I hate this feeling but I know it will go in time or at least be less intense

WhyWhyWhy
19-02-14, 12:44
This post is helping me as I also panic each time I get a letter thinking its the Dr's with bad news etc.

I hate this feeling but I know it will go in time or at least be less intense

It will go in time. I've recovered before and had times where there've been months of me feeling like me. Then something happens and it coming flooding back even worse than the time before.

Once when the anxiety left me I was sat in work almost in tears. Something just clicked in my head and I felt the tension leave my body. It was like I'd come to my senses.

I feel like right now I just want to take a sedative and sleep the day away, unfortunately I'm working.

TooMuchToLiveFor
19-02-14, 12:59
Was in cruise control yesturday which was nice but have woken up today & can't switch cruise on again :weep:.

Sure it will come on again later in the day :)

Hi, Mark,
Sometimes cruise control can allow us to zone out and become less attentive to our driving. It is very nice to use on days where the sun is out, there is an easy stretch of road before us, and there isn't any traffic,…..but if you are driving in a little storm, or there is a lot going on on the road around you….I suggest being as engaged as you can with your driving.

Here's to a good drive today!!

---------- Post added at 06:51 ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 ----------

Oh it's going good thank you! I'm just enjoying the scenery and the occasional rain as it trickles down the window. It's nice because it cleans the window and allows me to see better :)

How are you TooMuch?

Luna, this is beautiful…..simply beautiful. I am filing this one away for "a rainy day." :)

---------- Post added at 06:55 ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 ----------

Too Much, great post as always. Why is it that we always think that we can let go of the wheel, and still get to where we want to go. I know I'm definitely on this journey with you all, even if my hands keep,slipping off the wheel. Seems as if my foot gets stuck on the brake now and then too, but I'm going to be extra careful to keep an even speed.

Yes, Tanner, sweaty, nervous hands do make it hard to keep our hands on the wheel, huh?

I think a slower, even speed is exactly the drive zone you need to be in right now…..you have a lot of life's hazardous driving conditions around you right now. Keep reminding yourself that your car doesn't run without gas. Pull over and fuel up as needed. Also, ignore those around you with road rage. You can't control them- only yourself.

(Where are all these car metaphors coming from??? I am SO not a car girl! LOL!)

---------- Post added at 06:56 ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 ----------

Yes what a good post TooMuchToLiveFor. I'm right with you on the mindfulness and gratitude. The mindfulness was a life saver for me and changed my life around - I came off all medication within a year of starting mindful meditation. It really helped to show where my thought processes were going wrong and how I can - with gentle but persistent practice - fix it. And the gratitude is the icing on the cake that keeps life that bit sweeter.

LOVE what you said about "Gratitude being the icing on the cake that keeps life that bit sweeter." Really great!

Glad you enjoyed the post, and very happy for you! You sound like you are doing so well! And, that is so good to hear around here! :hugs:

---------- Post added at 06:59 ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 ----------

good post TMT ,the above is what consumes my daily thought pattern ,im always obsessing about anxiety ,I really need to work on this now.I thought about leaving this site because of it as it reminds me more and more about anxiety and depression.

Hey, Mr.A,
Yes, I, too, have had that thought from time to time. Only you know what is best for you. Maybe consider putting a time limit on how much time you can be here each day/week. That is what I have done- and has helped me get more balance.

It was truly consuming me too. Since that post I have been putting into practice what I wrote I needed to do concerning steering my thoughts- and it has helped a great deal.

MrAndy
19-02-14, 13:01
You got power steering TMT !

TooMuchToLiveFor
19-02-14, 13:03
Yesterday for me was a good day. Today is hard hard hard and I can't shift this heavy feeling in my chest. Filled with dread and feeling really uneasy. Fighting off tears because I know when they come they aren't going to stop. So sorry for the negativity xx

Hang in there, my friend! This season, too, shall pass!

MarkUK and WWW-- have you done any CBT? The free online course offered here helps many, and it will teach you how to shift those ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) to RATS (realistic alternative thoughts).

---------- Post added at 07:03 ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 ----------

You got power steering TMT !

LOL! Wish I had a clever "car comeback",…..but I am out at the moment! :roflmao:

Seabiscuit
19-02-14, 13:12
This is a great quote - I have felt as though im living in a car crash - like something bad will happen and I have no control - the idea of keeping your hands on is such a good analogy!!! Many thanks!

TooMuchToLiveFor
19-02-14, 13:17
This is a great quote - I have felt as though im living in a car crash - like something bad will happen and I have no control - the idea of keeping your hands on is such a good analogy!!! Many thanks!

You know, bad things can happen…..although often the fear we create around them is the only really bad thing happening. Also, even if they do…..you are still IN CONTROL because YOU CONTROL YOUR REACTIONS. :)

Hang in there-- with a little time your current crash will be in your rear view mirror, and will look more like an inconvenient fender-bender. :winks: