PDA

View Full Version : blood in phlegm, sore throat.

roxy90
07-02-14, 20:02
I started a thread about this earlier and that I wasn't panicking like I usually would and I'm very pleased with myself.

I've got a bad sore throat croaky voice sneezes etc. There's a lot of phlegm in the back of mY throat, some tinged with blood. Surprisingly this didnt worry me too muxh, but the NHS say that this suggests pneumonia. I won't be able to see someone til Tuesday and I'm getting v.concerned now it will turn to sepsis or meningitis.

Not worrying like ususal but has anyone experienced blood in phlegm from a bog standard cold? Thankyou :)

saab
07-02-14, 20:06
More likely to be that coughing or sore throat has caught the blood vessels at the back of the throat? I don't think a bit of blood in mucus is that unusual. If you had pneumonia you would be feeling very ill, I would have thought.

roxy90
07-02-14, 20:08
I would have thought that too so I'm not massively worrying. I Have bad anxiety over infections so I worry that whatever infection this is bronchitis/sinusitis etc is going to turn into sepsis/meningitis.

Probably reading too much of the daily mail haha

kurtis1990
07-02-14, 20:09
It's a nuisance but yes I get this to with a cild

RoseEve
07-02-14, 23:03
I get this all the time. Your nose has thousands of tiny blood vessels when you are sick they get dry and bleed. It drinks own your throat and comes out your mouth. Unless yo use coughing up lots of blood don't worry.

roxy90
08-02-14, 10:48
Thankyou everyone feel muchhy better. It hurts to breathe in so think its a chest infection, is it safe for me to wait til Monday? I'm nervous about it spreading to blood and yes that sounds crazy I know lol

Andrash
08-02-14, 10:52
Thankyou everyone feel muchhy better. It hurts to breathe in so think its a chest infection, is it safe for me to wait til Monday? I'm nervous about it spreading to blood and yes that sounds crazy I know lol

I had pneumonia. I'm still alive :)

It's probably not pneumonia, and even if it is, it'll be cured in no time. Don't worry about it :)

And pneumonia can't cause neither meningitis nor blood poisoning.

roxy90
08-02-14, 11:19
Oh I thought it could, i'm sure people can die from it anyway. I'll try not to worry :-)

Andrash
08-02-14, 11:23
Oh I thought it could, i'm sure people can die from it anyway. I'll try not to worry :-)

People can die from pneumonia if they don't treat it for six months or more, or if they're really old and/or in bad health (for example suffering from HIV or being under cancer treatment).

In your case, if there is one, it'll be easily discovered and treated with antibiotics. :)

ankietyjoe
08-02-14, 11:59
I was taken to hospital on Monday for coughing up some blood. They weren't particularly concerned as it can happen from just coughing hard.

It's worth getting checked out of course, but I wouldn't spend time worrying about it unless you're told you need to, which is unlikely! :)