PDA

View Full Version : Coping with long term chest infection.

ankietyjoe
08-02-14, 11:55
Hey dudes

This started at the beginning of last week (Jan 27th) where I felt a little bit rough for about a week, had a sore throat and a cough etc but I was able to function.

Then last weekend I woke up at about 3am with cold sweats, obvious fever and the feeling of being cold all the time. By the time it got to Monday I was unable to even sit up for more than 5 minutes, was coughing up blood and generally feeling awful. I eventually called for a home GP visit but as soon as I told them about the blood they sent an ambulance and I was taken to A&E. I had two blood tests and a chest X-ray and the conclusion was that it was a chest infection, a sinus infection and if I'd left it any longer probably pneumonia too.

Roll on to this weekend and I'm mostly through the course of antibiotics I was given but I still feel very rough. I guess the illness will be with me for at least another week.

What I'm struggling with it 'the cloud'. The feeling that despite the tests there is something wrong. Nothing specific, just something. My dreams are becoming incredibly vivid, and although they're not particularly disturbing in themselves, they are staying with me a long time after I wake.

I'm also coughing so hard I'm seeing stars, and that in turn leads to the 'I'm going to pass out' sensation that goes along with anxiety.

Whilst I don't think it's going to turn into a full blown panic attack, I have the underlying feeling of trembling and anxiety all the time now and I've not had that for a very long time. I did find the trip to A&E quite traumatic (the Doctor did say the X-ray was to rule out the big C) as I have a fear and loathing of hospitals anyway as a lot of us do.

I guess there's a psychological effect to feeling ill for a long period of time ( a number of weeks) although I know it's chicken feed to those that are truly ill long term.

I'm just waffling I think, I just needed to put some thoughts down 'on paper' :blush: