PDA

View Full Version : Debilitating panic attack - need vallium/diazepam???

T101
09-02-14, 00:19
Hi folks, i'm in an awful situation and need some advice re:diazepam.
I haven't had a REALLY bad panic attack for 2 years and have had no meds in all that time (previously on propranolol, buspirone & citalopram, all 3 daily).
Last week i had a hell of a panic attack and have been in a constant trembling, fearful state ever since. i can barely leave the house i'm so scared.
I have a doctors appointment in 4 days time. I am not in a position to return to 'long-term' meds because i am moving house in 3 weeks and in fact will be leaving the country. I therefore want to ask the doctor for a short-term INSTANT relief against anxiety to get me through the next few weeks til i leave. Is he likely to prescribe Diazepam for this?
From what i have read on here it seems to be what i am looking for. i have just one appointment with my doctor and i need to get whatever he prescribes absolutely right to get the help with this terrible anxiety i'm experiencing every day. Should i be blunt and ask for it? How i'm even going to get myself to the doctors is beyond me, i physically tremble when leaving the house, jelly legs, heart pounding. I'm distraught after going so long without having paniced this badly and i'm stressed enough with the house move. I need to function properly and i'm a wreck at the moment. Do you think he will prescribe diazepam and do u think its the most appropriate med for my situation??? anyone got experiences of this and if it works? thanks for any help, i'm overwhelmed by anxiety right now and i desperately need some help.

nicola1980
09-02-14, 01:12
Hi diazepam will defiantly help you but it can only be a short term fix, I've been on a daily dose of 6mg for nearly 2 years and Im trying to taper off very slowly, I've only dropped to 5mg this week and the withdrawal has been horrendous, it is a fantastic drug to use occasionally to help you through but is very addictive, i wouldn't ask your doctor outright for it personally i would see what he recommends as a quick fix to help you through the next few weeks, good luck x x

T101
09-02-14, 01:55
Hi diazepam will defiantly help you but it can only be a short term fix, I've been on a daily dose of 6mg for nearly 2 years and Im trying to taper off very slowly, I've only dropped to 5mg this week and the withdrawal has been horrendous, it is a fantastic drug to use occasionally to help you through but is very addictive, i wouldn't ask your doctor outright for it personally i would see what he recommends as a quick fix to help you through the next few weeks, good luck x x

thanks nicola - i really only want "something" to help me for the next 3 weeks i have no intention on being on any meds after that. My worry is that because my doctor had me on the 'long-term' meds for 2 years that he would suggest that again but they take ages to 'kick in' plus i will have moved 400miles away and would no longer be under his supervision. I want a fast-acting, short-term solution only and having read posts on here i thought diazepam would fit the bill. Sorry to hear about your long-term use of it given how addictive it is...i came off all 3 meds 'cold turkey' and suffered for over a month so i appreciate how bad it can be. It does get better though, there is light at the end of the tunnel so keep focused on that and u will get there. Good luck xxx

nicola1980
09-02-14, 04:21
Thanks, i can't see any harm in you using diazepam just for 3 weeks, you won't get addicted in that short space of time, it has been an absolute lifesafer for me after i suffered a complete breakdown 2 years ago but i now feel in a place to cope without it, its just a bugger to get off but Im determined to do it and then just use it in an emergency situation, good luck and let me know how you get on x x

T101
12-02-14, 21:30
Thanks, i can't see any harm in you using diazepam just for 3 weeks, you won't get addicted in that short space of time, it has been an absolute lifesafer for me after i suffered a complete breakdown 2 years ago but i now feel in a place to cope without it, its just a bugger to get off but Im determined to do it and then just use it in an emergency situation, good luck and let me know how you get on x x

just back from the doctors and he only gave me propranolol. I'm really worried its not enough given i am shaking every day and struggle to get out the house as i'm overcome with panic. I had a panic attack in the waiting room at the doctors!!!! I'm worn out with it every day :( Fingers crossed the propranolol helps me but i'm scared if it doesn't :(
Hope your coping on your reduction in diazepam, keep going, you'll do it and be so proud of yourself :) x

greggs92
14-02-14, 20:16
The best way to overcome a panic attack is to make it as bad as it can be, literally walk yourself into iy and the truth about the panic reveals itself, you will dis-empower it completely. It might feel scary at first but realize that, you've been here before and it will and never has hurt you. if you would like more help etc...just drop me a private message
Thanks

nicola1980
14-02-14, 21:19
just back from the doctors and he only gave me propranolol. I'm really worried its not enough given i am shaking every day and struggle to get out the house as i'm overcome with panic. I had a panic attack in the waiting room at the doctors!!!! I'm worn out with it every day :( Fingers crossed the propranolol helps me but i'm scared if it doesn't :(
Hope your coping on your reduction in diazepam, keep going, you'll do it and be so proud of yourself :) x

Hi, i use propranolol too when i need to instead of using my diazepam and it does help calm me down, it certainly helps with the physical symptoms of anxiety and panic like racing heart, shakes etc. Hope it helps x x