PDA

View Full Version : New worry?

anxious_thoughts
09-02-14, 03:14
Hello guys,

I had my hair in a ponytail today and was feeling behind my left ear when I noticed it seemed kind of swollen behind there, compared to the other ear. Now, I don't know if it's normally been like that and I just have become aware of it or if it's a swollen lymph node. There's not much pain, I mean now there kind of is because of me touching and pressing on it.

I'm just worried that it's a sign of cancer since I have brain tumour anxiety :(

RoseEve
09-02-14, 03:32
My son has a lymph node the size of a pea behind his ear. I had a doctor and the nurse check it three times, and it's nothing. Sometimes you can just feel your nodes especially behind your ear because the skin is so stretched there. I feel like I've posted this a lot on this forum because people think of cancer when it comes to lymph nodes. But it is very normal to be able to feel your nodes. Also, in my brain cancer research I don't believe the cancer spreads beyond the brain. I could be wrong about that but I remember reading that. I am not allowing myself to google medical things anymore so I can't check. Anyway, it's not cancer just a node, a normal part of your body. Hugs :)

anxious_thoughts
09-02-14, 03:37
Hello Rose, now I'm not too sure if it's actually a node as it seems to be more all over behind my ear instead of a spot the size of a pea. It may just be the size of my head that I never noticed before. But of course now that I've noticed it it's hard to stop noticing it!!! It's great to hear that your son is okay, and I am glad to hear it's nothing to do with a brain tumour.:)

That's so good to hear that you're not allowing yourself to google medical things, I need to gain some more self control. How do you do it when there's something you really want to google?

RoseEve
09-02-14, 03:46
Oh that's nothing jenn both my mother and daughter have that. I know because when I felt my sons bump I felt everyone behind the ear lol. Your body isn't symmetrical. I've been reading a self help book and doing CBT exercises. I've been fighting the urge but it's hard. It's almost like I'm addicted. I think I've reached a point in my life where I'd rather get a dreaded disease and die than waste my life worrying. It's only been a week but without my compulsive behavior (googling) my obsessions are a lot less. I still have the irrational thoughts but with nothing to fuel it they pass quickly.

anxious_thoughts
09-02-14, 03:52
Really?! I'm going to now go around and start feeling behind everyone's ear haha. It almost feels like a burning sensation but I'm not too sure if it's because I kept touching it, it probably is. Good to hear about your self-help books with CBT, I've been doing some with an online e-counsellor. Are you doing the CBT work books from this website? Ever since I got the e-counsellor I haven't been reading them, although I should.

A week is still progress and you have come a long way, that's great to hear! I am going to try to fight it as well, you're inspiring me to do it. :) You know how there's a option to block adult sites? I wish there was one to block the ones we search for, haha. :winks:

RoseEve
09-02-14, 03:56
Lol me too! But then we would just find another computer. I can't log in on this websites online course I don't know why. I got an app on my phone. Thanks for the praise :) see if you can put off googling for like 15 mins when you get an urge if you can't stop cold turkey. That's what my book said.

anxious_thoughts
09-02-14, 04:04
Haha, you're right!
What's the app called if you don't mind me asking? I'm always on my phone so if it helps for the anxiety I'm so down to download it.
I'm going to start doing the 15 minutes, maybe I'll start at 10 and keep changing the time longer and longer. Thanks so much!

RoseEve
09-02-14, 11:36
No problem! It's called the CBT app it's not the greatest one there are others but you have pay for them.

Fishmanpa
09-02-14, 13:17
I'm just worried that it's a sign of cancer since I have brain tumour anxiety :(

Ummm... hello? ;) ^^^

You can block any site actually. In the advanced settings of most browsers you can block domains.

Positive thoughts

anxious_thoughts
09-02-14, 15:25
Oh really? I'd have to block over 100 sites, haha. But thanks, will definitely block those main ones.

Althea
09-02-14, 15:42
I know some blockers (I use LeechBlock) can block whole hierarchies, and then you can put in exceptions. You can also limit the time you spend on sites, so you could leave enough Google to find the garage's number but not enough to start the evil process :).

anxious_thoughts
09-02-14, 15:46
Great ideas, Althea!! :)
Will definitely looking into the blockers and start putting some time limits. I need some self control haha

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

also thanks, Rose! I'm going to search for some CBT apps :)